Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Latest Con(s)ver(v)sation

Hubby and I have had many conversations over the years over plastics, recycling, organic vs. non-organic, and our latest is "where does the liquid go?" It really bothers hubby that we could be putting liquid-filled containers in landfills and it doesn't biodegrade for years, and then where does it go? Part of the reason I started cloth diapering was because of learning that our environment was a better place if it wasn't filled with bags and bags of soiled paper diapers; but, I never considered that "expired salad dressing bottle" that I just tossed unopened. But, now I am thinking along the same lines...where on earth does the liquid go that can't escape its plastic or glass prison?

Last night hubby admitted to me that he was getting a little obsessed with making sure all the liquid was out of things he threw away. And, it isn't just liquid, it is food...such as, where does the food go that is vaccumed packed and never opened? It kind of cracks me up how upset it makes hubby because I have never seen him this perplexed over something that wasn't on my list of consideration. I actually thought it was funny that he was so upset about liquid...But, now that it has been brought to my attention, I think I need to give it some attention. When I think about it, where does it go? And, once it goes there how long does it stay there? And, once stays there if you open it can you still use it? Won't it evaporate? These are all questions I want to do a bit more research on to find out exactly how liquid breaks down in the landfills.

I try my best in my little world to recycle, reuse and give-away, but now I also do my part to rinse, empty and drain all liquid before I recycle or toss a bottle, bag, or container.


And, there must be something in the air because Mommy Heather recently brought up her concern over plastics. Hubby used to get on me all the time for heating plastic in the microwave, even if it said microwave safe. I remember him yelling at me because I heated up P's babyfood in the little plastic container. He asked me to toss it because "we just don't know what the baby is eating if that plastic gets in her food." We have been eating half steamed broccoli for ages because I just throw it in a bowl with some water with no cover (I'm lazy) - because that was another reprimand. "What are you doing? You can't cover that food with plastic to steam it? We don't know what is getting into our food." Oops I did it again! But, now that Heather brought up the whole notion about serving food to baby on those cute little plates you get at Target and how horrible it *could* be makes me want to think about not only not microwaving plastics, but not even serving hot food on plastics. I generally only serve on my glass dishes, but am considering buying something more natural that can't be broken when it is hurled across my kitchen.

2 comments:

Amanda C. said...

Wow! Thanks for getting me thinking about more ways to help the environment. And, about how I'm feeding V, B, and myself. And, I know it's more of a hassle, but I've found cooking fresh broccoli and green beans in boiling water for 3 minutes (broccoli) or 10 minutes (green beans) keeps them green and fresh, but makes the yummy, too!

Kris Burke McDavid said...

Hey girl, I have a steamer for the stove to steam vegatables in. I put less than 1/2 an inch of water in the bottom to steam them. It boils faster,(less water) cooking them faster, and that is about all you need because it doesn't steam away all that quick. I swear it is about as fast as the microwave. Just another idea:)