Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Curried Peas

The main reason for this post is because my friend Susan asked me to post my recipe for curried peas. I took dinner for bubbies to her house when she had the V-day party, and it seems the curried peas made some mouths water. I am thinking if Susan wants the recipe others may too. I don't know how to put tabs up on my blog, so I am posting the recipe at the end of this entry. You quite possibly have everything in your home to make this delish side dish...and hopefully if you have kids they will like them as much as mine do.

Okay - seriously? Curried peas? Yes, curried peas. I have become addicted to frozen veggies this winter merely because they are cheaper, they don't spoil quickly, they are easy, and most of all - the baby will inhale them. It is an awesome site to see my baby pick broccoli over a cracker. When P was eating table foods as a baby I thought I HAD to feed her fresh veggies only. I went overboard with the whole natural, organic thing and would let food rot in my fridge that she didn't eat because I was worried frozen veggies lost their nutritional value. Well, not so. Actually, frozen veggies are flash frozen to KEEP their nutrition and stay as close to fresh when defrosted as possible. What was I thinking??? I could kick myself because I bet P would be a GREAT veggie eater if I would have given her more of a variety to choose from; and, I can't imagine how much money I would have saved.

I struggle with making the same meals over and over again. If I see my kids eat a meal heartily I will make that meal more than once, twice, sometimes three times a week because "they like it!" Well, as other mommies know, kids are fickle. They may LOVE applesauce for a week and then not touch again for months. Then I am back as square one: trying to figure out good nutritious dishes for the babes that they will eat, I will eat, and possibly the hubby will eat. I try to mix up how I fix meat, eggs or potatoes so the kids will keep stuffing their little faces... even if it is just out of curiousity. I do secret hoorays in my head when P eats two peas. I feel I accomplished "vitamin input."

When P was a baby I bought The Petit Appetite Cookbook: Easy, Organic Recipes to Nurture Your Baby and Toddler by Lisa Barnes. It is chocked full of delicious, easy dishes that I would never in a million years thought to make. For instance: the curried peas. bubbies not only loves this side dish, he adores it. He even shares them with friends...take a look:

bubbies feeding his buddy Becca

Here's the recipe:

Curry and Herb Peas

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves, minced (I used minced from a jar)
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/3 cup water
16 ounces fresh or frozen organic peas
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional - I never use it)

Heat butter in large saucepan over medium heat. When foam subsides, add garlic to pan and quickly saute until light brown. Stir in curry powder, cumin, water and peas and simmer until peas are tender and heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro, if desired.

4 comments:

Momma Bear said...

I've been looking for other ways to do peas, this is awesome! Thanks!

BoLOGna said...

love the pic! i ate indian buffet weekly while preggers with Becca-no wonder she loves curry peas :) thanks for the recipe mama!!

Steve Prescott said...

Sounds delish. Peas are good. Speaking of copious frozen veggies, here's a "cheat" recipe I chuck tons of frozen veggies into:

I buy a can of Progresso Lentil soup - dump that and maybe about a cup and a half of water in a pot on the stove. Then dump in a randomly adequate amount of frozen peas (sometimes a frozen mix of veggies) and cook up. It's totally cheating but such an easy and fairly healthy lunch soup to make. Oh yeah - and you can add egg noodles, too - you just have to boil it a bit longer.

April said...

love the sharing picture :-)