
I took the kids Targeting in hopes of finding some fun outside toys. It is getting warmer here and I don't have much for them to play with in the backyard. Well...sticks, dirt and stones seem to keep them busy, but I really do hate that they both think taking the dirt out of my flower box is fun. I am afraid when I plant our veges this spring I'll have no dirt to put the plants in! Plus, we aren't cavemen.
In our toy search I saw a small area with kites. A KITE! Yes, that seemed like the perfect afternoon fun because it was a bit windy and warm enough to play outside for an extended period of time. Kites were cheap. I mean, I think I paid $6.99 for it. Of course, it is plastic and has giant Big Bird, Elmo and Cookie Monster faces on it, but it certainly does the job. I could have chosen Spider Man, the Power Rangers or Barbie...I opted for something that seemed to suit a 2.5 and a 1 year old, so Sesame Street it was. I went to Big Lots and found an even cheaper kite made by the same manufacturer - this time I chose Dora and it was $2.80 (I get a corporate discount since my hubby heads up their web department). They may be cheap and plastic, but man can they fly.
I loaded the kids up in the wagon and took a stroll to the school parking lot down the street. Great place because we reduced our risk of kite stuck in tree or kite melting on powerline. I unrolled the string and barely got the kite together before it flew up in the air. The wind was perfect. I handed the reigns to my daughter and she freaked out. I think the wind was a little strong and that kite seemed like it was going to lift her off the ground!
As she was crying for me to take the string the boy decided to run off through the parking lot. For being no bigger than a minute, that kid can run...FAST! There I was trying to help P with the kite while chasing my son praying a car wouldn't come around the corner or that he wouldn't fall on the concrete.Once I got a hold of the kite and the kid, both P and bubbies played in the wagon. I flew the kite and acted as if I was 12 again. I was giggling, cheering, oohing and ahhing at the kite flitting around in the air. I loved it. I can't wait to do it again!
3 comments:
Yes, sometimes it's nice to be a kid again. :) I quite enjoy it.
I did the same thing last fall when we flew kites after that big wind storm blew through...Being The Mom is fun! (Ok, yes, you can fly the kite now, Guy!!!)
I gave you an award btw check it out!
http://anxiousmonkey.com/2009/03/kreative-blogger-award.html
also, i'm dipping on your conversation with heather over on her blog but I just started knitting in dec or jan and I'd love to hear your thoughts in general and to see what you've got going on etc. I'm using bamboo needles currently and I'm working on dishrags. I attempted the purl stitch with unsuccess. I've not went back to try it again. But perhaps seeing someone else do it might help.
Post a Comment