Since P was 8 months old, one day a week has been reserved for "Buddy Day." I was originally invited by my friend Beth to join her mommies group, which was just starting out and consisted mainly of the women she went to church with and a couple of girls she met online (I think). I feel so smart to having said yes when she invited me to be a part of the group, because that mommies group has become a major part of my life. I am so fortunate to have such a bounty of love and support from women who I never knew existed pre-babies. I have found friendships that are incredibly honest and sincere - lucky me! That old quote "friends are the family you get to choose" is not cliche to me.Anyhow, we meet up each Friday for Friday Fun Day. Our latest was an outing to the Franklin County Fair. It was a small fair, which happens to be the type of fair I prefer. I don't feel as if I missed seeing anything and got out spending less than $50 for the day (fair food, games, rides - it adds up!). We watched the turkeys pant in the heat, saw some 4-H members show llamas, pat the bunnies, smelled the pigs, and saw a chicken lay an egg. After that we got lemonades and let the kids play a little game hosted by a woman who called herself "Walmart of the Fair." It was hotter than Satan's breath that day and we grabbed a picnic table in the shade to have lunch. The kids were acting crazy which spawned a conversation between the moms about sneaking vodka in by way of water bottles to add to a freshly squeezed lemon shake-up. Oh the sweet tantalizing day dream of a cocktail (or liquid patience as I like to call it) on a hot summer day to help mommy smile while she gets her kids in line. Then the squeal of reality set in as we realized it was time to move on to another activity before the kids got themselves into consecutive timeouts.
We excitedly found the ticket booth for rides and bought enough tickets for our little thrill seekers to ride each one once. Timing was perfect for seeing a show directly after the last ride - a silly magician/juggler guy who had to do his bit in direct sun. You think it is hard to get someone to laugh in air conditioning? This poor guy was probably wearing SPF 70 and barely got a nod from the adults. Then time to go home! Here's our day in pictures....








1 comment:
I used to love going to the fair when I was young... thanks for the memories today!
Post a Comment