Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Leg pain

My darling P was up last night with leg pain. This is probably the 4th time it has happened, and it was far worse than any time before. She goes to bed just fine and then about one in the morning is crying and saying her legs hurt. It breaks my heart. Last night she just kept saying "mommy, mommy! Mommy, make it go away! It hurts! It hurts!" Generally she falls back asleep within 10 minutes, but last night it took her 45 minutes.

I kept massaging her legs and applying pressure hoping it would help the pain go away; we tried offering a heating pad, but NOWAY was she putting it on her legs; and, I tried to get her to take Motrin. She was scared and in pain, and didn't want anything but for me to hold her. It was so sad and I felt so helpless.

When I took P in for her preschool check-up I spoke with her pediatrician about it (again). This is the third time I have spoken with him or a nurse, and they keep telling me it is what is referred to as "growing pains" and nothing more. I was scared it was arthritis or some other form of disease that has similar symptoms, but it isn't. She doesn't have warm joints, redness, or rashes - just pain. Hubby said he had leg pain all through childhood and remembers it. He said his mom would just rub his legs until he fell back asleep - which is just how it happened in our house.

I am finding correlations as to what happened during the day and the leg pain at night, as follows:

1. She doesn't drink enough water during the day. My pediatrician said it is very important for growing children to stay well hydrated.

2. Lots of activity that requires her to be on her feet. Yesterday we went to the park and she ran around with her buddy on the soccer field for a long time. The day before she was at a park with her friend and they were climbing on everything for a few hours and I took them on a hike. I am thinking that the day after all the climbing and hiking, I should have let her rest instead of running around...but, who knows? The leg pain happens too randomly for me to tell at this point.

3. She complains during the day that her legs are tired and she wants me to carry her. I really need to listen to those complaints - they may be indicators that the leg pain will happen.

For right now, I am just going to do my best to keep her hydrated and to let her rest when she needs it. I need to listen when she says she is tired, and give her the benefit of the doubt that she isn't just being "P." :)

3 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

aW, POOR p!!!

Rachel (Hounds in the Kitchen) said...

Poor P. :(

Ute said...

I think I'll have to agree with the doctor about growing pains. I had them. It was terrible, painful, and I cried a lot. But it was usually a phase and would pass... until the next spurt. It's no fun, and my daughter has had them too, and I know she will have them again eventually.