Pages

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Flu shot

Miss P got her last round of the flu shot today. As a six month old infant she had to get one and then thirty days later get a second one. I guess babies can't handle the full dose at once. I made sure to get them without a preservative because I have a friend whose child was poisoned by themerisol. The boy had signs of autism that were brought about by mercury poisoning. The child is being treated for mercury poisoning and is actually improving. It is unbelievable. I feel so bad for the child and the parents for having to go through such a horrible ordeal. Luckily, though, my friend gave hubby and I a ton of insight into immunizations and other shots. We know what to questions to ask and what type of shots to request thanks to his guidance. I feel more comfortable about her immunizations knowing they aren't tainted by preservatives.

Miss P did really well getting the flu shot. The nurse was quick. So quick that I didn't even know she administered the shot until Miss P's face turned red and she was mustering up a screaming cry. She cried for a moment, but I picked her up right away and she quit crying as soon as she was in my arms. It is amazing the comfort and love babies feel in their mother's arms. I know as a thirty-something I still love the feeling of my mom's hugs and kisses. They are super special to me and I hope P feels the same way one day.

I think the next round of shots I have to endure...excuse me...that my baby has to endure are at twelve months. Hurray! I have five months off. I feel for all those new moms out there that have to start the two, four and six month round of shots. It is quite heartbreaking knowing your baby is being poked with a needle. But, the good news is that each time you go the better it gets. I know some moms that don't want to be in the room when their baby gets a shot. I could NEVER do that. Miss P needs to know that her mommy is there to make it better, or at least console her when she is in pain. I couldn't leave my baby in the arms of a stranger when she is experiencing some of the worse pain she has felt in her little life. That seems so unmotherlike.

No comments: