Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

36 and Cancer.

One of my very best friends from college was diagnosed with cancer last summer and had a radical hysterectomy. Her bio below will be published soon. She continues to get the word out about the Digene HPV Test to hopefully help with early detection. Here is her story in her words:

"I never thought at 36 years old that my life would be affected by cancer. In May 2008, I went to the OB/GYN for my annual Pap test as I do every year. My doctor had recently started administering the Digene HPV test in his practice and his Nurse Practitioner decided to perform this test along with my regular Pap test to screen for cervical cancer at this visit. She explained to me that the HPV test was approved for women aged 30 and over to detect high-risk strains of HPV. Since the sample is collected at the same time as the Pap and requires no additional procedures at the office, I agreed to have it run.

My Pap test came back normal, but the HPV test came back "high-risk." I have always had normal annual Pap results and have been in a monogamous relationship for 9 years so, to have the test results return positive for "high-risk" HPV was a shock. Because the HPV results came back "high-risk", the pathologist took a second and closer look at the Pap test and discovered that what was originally passed off as a "normal" Pap was in fact abnormal and had slipped through the cracks as a false negative. The correct diagnosis for my abnormal Pap test reported High-Grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesions.

What happened next was a big blur. My doctor suggested a Colposcopy and then a LEEP. My LEEP came back showing full-thickness invasive adenosquamous carcinoma. I was immediately sent to have a CT and a chest xray and then to an oncologist for a consultation.
A few days later I was being prepped for a radical hysterectomy. After the surgery I learned that the cancer was stage 1B and the final pathology report from the surgery showed no signs of metastasis. I can’t help but think how my life would be different if the high-risk HPV had not been identified. Would they have been able to find the cancer before it had spread? Would I have had to go through radiation and chemo? Would I be able to watch my son grow up? Would I still be alive today? Everyday I thank my doctor and nurse practitioner for performing the test that saved my life.

I am currently in my last quarter of the Family Nurse Practitioner program and have chosen to write my masters thesis on the Digene HPV Test. I hope that this information will encourage other providers to include the Digene HPV test in their routine Pap exams. Due to this technology I am alive to see my life unfold and to share my story with others."

2 comments:

Momma Bear said...

Thanks for sharing this K, I've been wondering how she is doing and with all the distractions over the year it completely slips my mind to ask. I have no doubt in my mind that you've been a huge supporty to her, you're such a caring soul.

Amanda C. said...

Thank you for this. It's so good to hear that your friend is okay. I'm going to pass this info on to my hubby, and maybe, if his office doesn't do it already, he can share it with his colleagues and hopefully help more patients like your friend.