
P started ballet lessons four weeks ago. I love getting her dressed for class and talking about dancing. We discuss the different exercises and she "practices" at home. In class she is very shy sitting close to mommy and bubbies, venturing out now and again to join the other dancers. I am thinking next time I sign her up I won't sit in class. I thought it would make her more comfortable, but I don't think it helps get her out of her shell. She certainly participates in her own way, and generally by the end of class she is running around with the rest of them. She just takes a while to warm up I guess. I shouldn't be surprised, she has been this way her whole little life. Even in playgroup she gets shy with the other mommies and she has known them for two years.
Mrs. Dana, the ballet teacher, told P she was very proud of her today because she did a lot of participating. I made sure to give P tons of kudos and we talked about how much fun today was in class. I don't want to be a pushy mother but I do want her to at least try new things. We'll do ballet again - she seems to really like it when she does it, and I see the potential in her. She understands direction well and can switch from foot to foot with little effort with tandus - I can see that can be difficult for young ones. I definitely get that "mother's joy" when I see her leaping and twirling about.

3 comments:
This is a great blog you have here. I hope you (or shane) saves all this stuff to your home computer!
Mila starts a dance class next Monday i think. She and her cousin Lily are taking it - Mila's quite excited.
How cute! V is exactly the same when it comes to his music class. Actually, he's even more shy because it seems like the more we go, the less he participates. We'll just keep on trying and going, though. Have fun with your little dancer!
I recently tried to sign Kaleb up for ballet. I wasn't interested. I'm not sure why, do you think I should push him? Oh yeah, your kid is super cute in her polka dot tights. :)
Post a Comment