I went in for my (supposed to be 6 month...oops) skin check-up and seems I had a new weird looking mole on my left breast. They suggested I remove it because of its shape and color. The odds are that it is not melanoma, and chances of it being abnormal are 50/50. If it is abnormal I will have to remove more tissue around the area in question. I am praying for a clean scan so I don't have to undergo more stitches (I hate stitches), but I'll do whatever I need to do.
Right now it is a small incision of only two stitches - easily covered with a Nemo water-proof bandage. I could have chosen Pooh, but P likes Nemo better. I have to wear a sports bra all day and to sleep in for three weeks. Now, sports bras don't typically bother me, but being "tied down" for 24 hours sucks. They recommend the bra to lessen the scarring from the incision. Because of the location, the skin will open up 40% causing a stretched scar already, and keeping the girls from juggling about should help keep it from opening further. Sounds kind of gross, doesn't it? ha!
The doc suggested a scar cream which is a mere (har har) $50/small bottle. I spoke with hubby and he said "why? do you really mind your scars? I sure don't!" Good friend Heather said the same kind of thing - she said she never even questions the scar on my arm. It is just a part of who I am. I am grateful that I am a 10 year cancer survivor and hope that I have tens of years before I have to ever face that beast again! I was so lucky too - no chemo, just a few stitches on my arm. I can't wear anything on that arm like a watch or a bracelet because it still hurts to this day, but that doesn't bother me in least. At least I have an arm - at least I have a life and my melanoma was just a minor bump in the road.
6 comments:
I forget how much you rock sometimes.
You have a great attitude...wear your scars proudly....I know I sure do!
Wow, lady! I didn't know you were a cancer survivor among other awesomeness.
I think you need a hot tattoo. No one will notice your scars again. ;)
Wow! I had no idea! Let us know the results of the scan, I'll be thinking about you!
I'll keep ya in my prayers...You are so tough!
Thank you for being you! It was you who reminded me how important it is to get an annual skin check. And, it's because of you that tomorrow, I'm going to try to make an appointment with a dermatologist here in our new town. I think I'm overdue for my checkup! Hope your test results come back negative and that everything's cool!
Post a Comment