Pages

Monday, February 07, 2011

P's First Slumber Party


Well, P had her first slumber party over the weekend and she had a terrific time. It was a slumber party for her cousin's 6th birthday with a Valentine's Day theme. When Candyce called and told me it was a slumber party I was hesitant. I trust Candyce, and I know how great she is with kids - she's a great mom and was an early childhood educator and administrator before she had her two girls, but I still thought P was too young at her tender age of 4 to be going to a slumber party.

Hubby and I discussed it and he said she'd have a blast. He wasn't worried, primarily because it was Candyce and primarily because he thought P would have fun. Me, I don't like for my kids to have fun...no seriously, I was just worried. I know how she is going to bed at night; how sometimes she wakes with leg pain; how sometimes she has nightmares; and how sometimes she just needs met to come and lay down with her to help her drift back to dreamland. I guess that was my problem...what if she needed me and I wasn't there to comfort her?

I decided to pack up all of her things and make the decision at the party. If P wanted to stay I would let her, and hubby and I prepared ourselves to go get her in the middle of the night if need be.

Well, we got to the party and Candyce had hearts and balloons everywhere, she had crafts for the kids, pizza, cake, and the kids brought Valentine's to exchange. It was adorable - as I mentioned, Candyce was an early childhood educator - she gets kids. The girls that were there were P's three cousins (Candyce's 2 and Brett's 1), Candyce's soon to be step-daughters, and then two of Mindy's little friends. All the girls were in kindy or first/second grade - and P loved being "taken care of" by the older girls. It was so cute. Well, when I was starting to get things together to go I pulled P aside and asked her if she wanted to stay. It was an immediate YES! Then I said "you know, mommy, daddy and E are leaving, so we won't be here." She, in her mature manner, said "mommy, it is okay. I won't be alone. All the girls are here!" I felt confident letting her stay...for her, not me.

When I spoke with Candyce the next day she mentioned that one of the older girls took P under her wing and helped her set up her sleeping bag and open her little gifts that Candyce had for each of the girls. I just smiled - I could tell P had a really good time and did really well away from me for the night. P was clearly tired, but clearly wanted to stay and play a bit longer - she loved being with the girls without mommy around.

A couple of things I want to remember....Candyce had make-up for the little girls and I don't let P wear make-up (well, chapstick and nail polish), and she is always bugging me to put on my eyeshadow and blush. I don't know why I am so weird about it (maybe b/c I wasn't allowed to wear make-up until I was 15...and NO play make-up when I was little). I tell P that she can wear it when she is older and that I will teach her how to put it on, so when I saw there was make-up I kind of rolled my eyes.

Anyhow, when Candyce was doing the make-up thing P said "Candyce, mommy doesn't let me put on make-up. I can't wait to tell her!" And, one other thing. Candyce said that P had a hard time going to sleep and asked if Candyce could hold her for a little bit. Candyce said of course and told me that it was really special because she loves P so much and doesn't get to see her often enough. She said she loved having that special time with P - I almost cried. It was so sweet.

1 comment:

Holli said...

That IS sweet. I'm happy she had a good time!!