Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

First 6-miler

The weather has been dreadful - snow, cold, ice, you know, all the lovely stuff that makes up winter in Ohio? I am running in it. Four times a week I am getting my fanny out there and training for a half marathon. I don't know if I am a tad bit depressed because of the lack of vitamin D, but running helps. Especially, if I can run when the sun is out (or at least the gray is out emitting a touch of vital Vitamin D rays - a chewy tablet just isn't the same).

Yesterday, I ran 6 miles. The first 6 miles I have ever run. I was nervous about completing, nervous about not being able to breath for a such a distance, nervous about the snow on the trails, and nervous because 6 miles was going to determine whether I would fork over the $70 for the race. Well, I did it. I had to walk for 30 seconds at the end, but I did it. Today my quads are a little sore and last night I was feeling sore, but that is about it. Otherwise, my feet, ankles, toes, hips and shoulders feel fine. phew!

This week is a 3, 4, 2, and 5. I think I can handle it. I also need to get into the gym for some strength training or do some Jillian at home - hoping to help in regards to endurance.

3 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Way to go girlfriend!!! When I did my 10k I just about died. But it felt good to do it! I need to get into a training of some kind! Great job! You are inspiring me big time!

Rachel (Hounds in the Kitchen) said...

You go girl!!

Do you use a foam roller? I have used them in physical therapy and notice a lot of bloggers who run talk about them too. I think the idea is to stretch the muscles after workout?

Glass of Whine said...

Rachel - I use a foam roller at the gym. My PT said to roll out the upper leg where the quad meets the bone. I guess it helps relieve the muscle and prevent IT band injury. I really should do that on my rest days.