I was on the news today with my kids! We were getting a lesson on nutrition and choosing the best foods. My cousin works for Ohio Health and was looking for a family available on a specific day and time. We were available, and totally up for learning how to read labels and learn what were the best foods to choose. The dietician said my grocery list looked good, which made me feel as if I am making the right choices!
If you watch the video, take a look at cereal part. The dietician told the kids to pick up anything they wanted. Well, what did they go for? The most terrible stuff! Of course, the full on sugar cereal is right at their eye-level. They were also choosing stuff b/c of the cartoon character on front. For instance, when we left bubbies cried because he didn't get his "squid cereal" or the cereal with Cars on it. Seriously, if I brought that stuff home that is all they'd choose. Now, I understand it is about moderation, and they can be sometimes foods. I certainly want my kids to know they can eat that stuff sometimes, but I don't want them to think that is an appropriate choice all the time. Sugared cereals should be a treat. She also said to choose unsweetened cereal and add your own sugar if you need a bit of sweetness.
I am going to do a more extended write-up on Cbusmom.com, but I have a number of questions for her that I need answered.
Check it out: NBC4 Nutrition and Labels
No comments:
Post a Comment