Pages

Thursday, February 07, 2013

P's conference

I had P's conference today. It was glowing. Her teacher loves her! She is reading and doing math at almost a 3rd grade level. Mrs. Turner gave me some great advice on how to work with her to increase her skills. P was the only student in her class that got a 100% on one of the math tests. I just can't say enough at how well my girl is doing.

I told her all these positive things in the car and she was so excited. But then, I had to tell her that we were worried about her handwriting. She doesn't make her r, h, n, b, d, or a correctly. I need to work with her, but when I told her she cried! I felt so terrible, and I tried to reassure her that it wasn't that big of a deal. Just like if she was having difficulty reading - no big deal. As along as she is willing to work to get better, she will get better. As easy as that.

Her letters have been giving her difficulty all year. She says the uppercase letters are easy, but the lowercase are hard for her. It is very clear that she doesn't make them the right way, but she gets very defensive when I try to help her. I am so thankful I spoke to the teacher about it so that P has someone else wanting to help her...and, it gives mommy some clout.

No comments: