Pages

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Selfish or not so much?

It is so funny how as mommies we over-analyze everything we do. Before I had kids or was married I kind of just did what I wanted and never thought about how it effected other people. I was pretty selfish and pretty much into myself. It was awesome. I did what I wanted when I wanted and spent money as I pleased. Today, that is a totally different story.

I went shopping yesterday because bubbies needed sleepers. He is growing so quickly I am running out of things to put him in! I headed to the mall because I thought Children's Place was a good option - they typically have a good affordable selection. I wasn't planning to buy many because there is a huge twins/multiples sale coming up - this sale is like hitting the jackpot. Clothing, shoes, toys and gear galor - seriously, it is the motherload of all things kid.

Anyhow, I didn't get sleepers. I got two shirts, a book, a book for P and some cool Halloween stickers. Did I feel guilty? Hell, yes. bubbies is the one who needed sleepers and I bought stuff for me. Well, I did try to get them, but believe it or not, NOTHING in 12 or 18 months was on the rack that didn't have some Christmas-crap or snowflakes on it. Uhmmm...can't we save it for at least November? jeez. Well, back to over-analyzing...I was about to throw down $28 at Gymboree for a sleeper I didn't really like because I was feeling desperate not to be the old selfish me...but being financially responsible, I couldn't do it. So, bubbies just got a big dose of shopping, watching P play in the mall play area (ewwe...germs - we watched three kids pick their noses and wipe their fingers lord knows where, my daughter included) and waiting..waiting and more waiting to nurse when he was clearly hungry. Yes...guilt. BUT, the guilt did subside this morning.

I checked my gmail in hopes to see an email from eBay telling me I won the pirate's costume I was pining for...and I DID!! Yay! So, bubbies got something MUCH cuter than a Children's Place sleeper. I am biting at the bit for the Marks Monster's 2nd Annual Spooktacular Halloween Bash to take pictures of him surround by booty looking like a pillager of the high seas.

So, am I still selfish...?

3 comments:

SelimaCat said...

If I say no, does that make ME selfish?

Amanda C. said...

I'm so with you on this one. I wish I could feel less guilty about some of the things I do, especially if I do them for myself instead of for V. I guess it's just part of being a mommy. Hopefully, I'll be able to go on a girls' trip to Chicago soon and not feel bad about leaving both my boys behind!

Peaches LaRue said...

I believe Mommies forget the word selfishness exsist as soon as they find out they are cookin a bun in the oven. ;)
No- I don't think you are selfish...you have two beautiful children who are going up to become spectacular adult beings...
If you were selfish...or let the garbage can watch them (like your husband says you should)...then they would probably turn into lunatics.
so no worries...go get your hair done!