Pages

Monday, November 17, 2008

Do you mean ALONE?

Drink the juice Shelby

I actually had a ton of adult time this passed weekend, and it was niiiiiice. :) Granted, I missed my kids because they are generally attached to me, but I also enjoyed hanging out with my good friends and family. I actually felt back to the "old" me...if that makes any sense. It seems that since I have had kids I lost some of who I really am...and not the bad parts - the good parts. My friend Jocelyn posted some old pictures on FB and I had the light in my eyes that I have been clamoring to switch back on. Having kids made my controlling side out of control and my nervous side twitch...well, I am over it. I just want to have fun (now, I don't want to sound like I don't have fun, because I do, but I want the feeling of guilt to go away if I take time for me!) I told hubby I need to just change my mind on some of the ways I look at things and I need to focus on the goals I set for myself. Oh, it is much more complex than black and white...it always is.

Anyhow - I had a great weekend. Friday was my friend Geni's birthday and we went to the Cultural Arts Center to celebrate. It really only took one glass of wine for me to get the giggles and then it was over. My group of friends are so damn funny. Let's just say Seymore Luckoff will be resurrected. And, Daryl knows it is her fault. And, it was Daryl's fault that we were so obnoxious at the baby shower. She like a drug to me because when I am around her all I do is laugh.

Sunday we went up to Michigan with my Aunt and my cousin's family. P rode in the van with the girls and Auntie Carol, Candyce and Mitch. She had a great time. She was touching the ceiling of the van and telling Candyce how strong she was - hahaha! But, then she did something that is like her, but unlike her. She twirls her hair either on the side or the back - well, she twirled it so much that she twirled a chunk of hair out of her head. It didn't hurt her - it just came out. Early alopecia or just a hair twirlin' fool? I'll take the hair twirlin' fool one for a 1,000, Alex.

We got up to Michigan in plenty of time to drop the kids off with my sister-in-law and hit the auditorium to see my starlette niece as Shelby in Steel Magnolias. I choked back a few tears when I saw her walk on. The stage just lit up with her presence. It was awesome. Blush and bashful - enough pepto bismol pink to coat my house. :) I got a nice dose of reality for my birthday - the little girl taking tickets asked if I was Amanda's mom because "you look just like her." Amanda is 15 - YES, I know it is possible...but...I AM vain...sometimes. Lucky for Amanda she doesn't look like a troll or I'd be really pissed. haha! Carol, Candyce and I made menaces of ourselves during intermission...as per usual. Candyce and I have the same sense of humor and love to laugh at obsurdities...so does my Aunt, of course. And we decided that making funny, obnoxious faces during intermission and taking pictures of them was fun. I'll leave this post with a few fun weekend shots so my kids can see them later and say "gawd mom, you are such a dork" when they are old enough. My nephew said to hubby "I didn't know adults acted like this." Should I be embarressed? awwe, no. :)

Me, Candyce, fly-by Colby, Carol and my beautiful Amanda

The Wonder trio

B-day girl Peaches La Rue and pal Michelle

Buff, Me and johnnyLung

2 comments:

Amanda C. said...

I'm glad you had such a great time, especially since you got a lot of "you" time! I know how hard it is to not feel guilty when you're out without the kids. I think it makes us better mommies, though, when we can come back to them all relaxed and refreshed.

Kris Burke McDavid said...

Please tell me that is not the little girl that was at your wedding! Amanda is so beautiful, and she does look a lot like you.