Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas cards? uhmmm...

I send out Christmas cards every year...I mean every stinkin' year. When I met Shane we started sending out funny cards we designed ourselves (nice thing about having a CRAAAAZY, imaginative artsy-fartsy husband - he comes up with it and I just nod and act like it was my idea). But, this year I don't really feel like it and I don't know why! It isn't that I am not in the Christmas spirit, quite the contrary, I actually am into Christmas this year like no other year. If you ask hubby you'll find out I don't typically enjoy all the green and red, bells, sleighs, lights and what have you...but, since having children I have become more and more excited over the holiday season. This year my gifts were thought out, planned for. Some even have themes or contain an inkling of something from a conversation I shared with a friend or family member...but, the thought of doing Christmas cards seems daunting.

Part of me thinks it is because the USPS is such a nightmare. It is kind of a pain in the ass to get two kids together to run errands, especially in the cold, and to "run" into the postie is seriously an extra special nightmare. Babies are cute, so people don't get all up in arms if the baby lets out a yelp, but if P screams or laughs too loudly I get dirty looks. Looks that tell me to "quiet that kid down" or "can't you get control of your own kid?"...of course, this could all be in my head...I mean, I never have done well in places where I need to be quiet. By nature, I am loud.

I dread going to the post office. I dread trying to keep my kids quiet in the post office. I dread the fact that P thinks it is funny to run down the aisles and aisles of PO Box homes and not listen to me. I dread that she steals the baby and pushes the stroller down the aisles and aisles of PO Box homes not listening to me.

Now, give all of that dread, I have found out that I can go to the postie after hours. I can buy stamps and mail off letters AND packages on MY time. Really, I have NO excuse to not send out Christmas cards. Guess I am just lazy.

3 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Well, I for one will miss your christmas card the most! :)

But I do second your thought about the USPS - You should never move to Lewisburg, PA, because their PO is a nightmare! My main complaint is that it is not handicap accessible!!! If you ask why they are not, they will say because they have been "grandfathered in" and that they have had someone out to check the building to see if it is even possible and they have determined that it is not possible. So...sorry wheelchair bound and child-hauling citizens of Lewisburg, PA...you are out of luck.

Last Christmas, I had to carry my packages up a big old stone staircase (outside the front of the building) leave my packages there...go back to the car and get baby Scarlett...drop her carseat off on the top of the stairs and go back for Guy and walk him up the steps...I was LIVID.

Really it's so inconsiderate. I had been doing the online pickup thing before that...but found that for some reason it was 3 times more expensive. The Post Master said I wasn't clicking the right delivery method, but I am pretty tech savvy and I tell you...there was no cheap option! :)

Now that my rant is quite finished...Merry Christmas to all...and I'll miss those silly ole cards...maybe when the economy turns around we'll see them again! :) LOL

Anonymous said...

Now you know why I am always late.
Life as we know it.
D

Speedbump Kitchen said...

Have a great Christmas! We make sugar cookies yesterday and I realized they're dairy and soy-free. I posted the recipe, but used coconut milk instead of the soymilk for the dough, I think I liked it better than the soymilk version.