
I am so excited about my garden and growing plants from seed this year. It is awesome mommy and P time to put together the little pods and then stick them in the windowsill. We are currently growing broccoli, tomatoes (grape and biggies), lavender, basil, lemon/lime basil, cilantro and marigolds for her fairy garden. I am planting seed out for carrots and spinach as soon as it warms up just a bit more - so probably later this week or this weekend. My thyme, oregano, and parsley came back - who knew! Hubby and I are deciding about another area of the yard. He wants to plant fruit bushes, but I want to grow squash. I think the fruit bushes would be fun, but I am concerned with thorns and bees. But, I guess I can just teach the kids to be careful. duh. Guess I best get researching on the best fruit to grow outside (thinking it will be berries in Ohio...yummy!)
The best part of gardening it doing it with P. She loves to help. She helped pick out seed, went with me to Beth's, who so kindly shared tomato, carrot, lavender, and butternut seed with me. She is a potager gardener and has done a ton of research on growing veggies. I like reading over her gardening blog for helpful suggestions: http://potagergardengirl.com/.
P also filled the pod pots, put the seed in the pots, and even sings to them and welcomes them to the morning. We love the Inch by Inch Garden Song and sing it to the plants so they know they are "loved." We are crazy, I know, but I think giving loving words to my plants will help them grow. Who doesn't like nice things said to them? I generally say "My your soil looks awfully rich today." or "How about a nice drink of the good stuff?" or "You are going to grow up to be HOT." You know, sweet nothings that make seeds grow.
The Garden Song
Inch by inch, row by row
Gonna make this garden grow
All it takes is a rake and a hoe
And a piece of fertile ground
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
'Til the rain comes tumbling down
Pulling weeds and pickin' stones
Man is made from dreams and bones
Feel the need to grow my own
'Cause the time is close at hand
Grain for grain, sun and rain
Find my way in nature's chain
To my body and my brain
To the music from the land
Inch by inch, row by row
Gonna make this garden grow
All it takes is a rake and a hoe
And a piece of fertile ground
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
'Til the rain comes tumbling down
Plant your rows straight and long
Thicker than with pray'r and song
Mother Earth will make you strong
If you give her love and care
Old crow watchin' hungrily
From his perch in yonder tree
In my garden I'm as free
As that feathered thief up there
Inch by inch, row by row
Gonna make this garden grow
All it takes is a rake and a hoe
And a piece of fertile ground
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless the seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
'Til the rain comes tumbling down
'Til the rain comes tumbling down
2 comments:
I so totally need to get started on this gardening thing. Lovely post. :)
Sweet nothings, how sweet! Scarlett also loves to garden...can't wait to start ours!!
Post a Comment