Pages

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

No spring chicken, but c'mon....

Okay, so I am not as young as I used to be, but yesterday something happened that made me feel OLD (well, not really, that was just for shock factor).

I was walking in the park with Miss P where kids were practicing soccer, football, track and what have you for the new school year. A girl on her bike around 13 years old came up and started talking to me. She thought it was so cool that I was walking my baby in the Bjorn and that it seemed like the baby loved nature. She told me how she loved nature and taking bike rides. I asked her if she was ready for school and she say she was because she doesn't have to go back until after Labor Day Weekend because she gets to go on vacation. If you are wondering where she is going, she is going to Myrtle Beach.

Very sweet little girl. Anyhow, she saw a couple of her buddies and yelled out to greet them. They came running up and one of the boys said, "Is that your mom?" He was referring to ME! AAAHH. Now, when I go to my mom's kindergarten class kids ask all the time if I am someone's mom - the first time was weird, but then I thought, "Well, yes, I could be the mother of a 6 year old." That seems reasonable to me, but a 13 year old!?

So I call up my mom and she reminds me that when she was my age she DID have a 13 year old kid...ME!!!!

Wow does that put things in perspective. I started daydreaming, and I remembered back to when I was 13 and I remembered what I thought about my mom. I thought she was young, beautiful and loved her very much. She was my best friend and my confidant - yes, even at 13. So, I guess being the mom to a 13 year old when you are a thirty-something is quite a good thing...but then again, does it matter if the child is 13 years or 13 months? I don't think so - you are STILL a parent!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your mom thinks you're beautiful, young, and she loves you very much, too!