Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Vision Day Letter

Each month I receive "The Vision Day Letter" from Debbie Phillips, co-owner of GroupMV, LLC. While I was working at MediaSource my boss was very good about team building seminars and weekends, and Debbie Phillips headed up one of those particular weekend events. Debbie made a huge impact on me, and I have always felt I walked away from her knowing I had the potential to do anything I wanted. She really helped me believe in myself...in a few short hours, with a few short exercises I felt changed...for the better. I was able to focus on what I wanted to accomplish in my life; from getting in shape to writing a book to changing my career focus. Basically, a person can do anything they want - they just need to believe in themselves and not be afraid to "let go" and pursue their own path to happiness. Easier said than done, I agree with that statement, but even just throwing the thought out that "I want/need a change" is the first step. I work on this everyday. It is hard, and is harder now that I have two children and do not have the time to focus so much on myself. I am learning balance; that is what I want to accomplish right now.

Anyhow, I received The Vision Day Letter, which is basically a monthly newsletter from Debbie and team, and I sat down and *really* read it. I haven't *really* read anything in months except schoolwork or children's books, and I am happy this was given some attention. Debbie's exec asst. was diagnosed with breast cancer. The company is based out of Martha's Vineyard, and that is where all of the employees live. Now, Martha's Vineyard is an island, which means they are a bit limited to healthcare. They have a hospital for general healthcare, but do not have the ability to treat patients who need critical surgeries and on-going treatments such as chemo or radiation treatments. Debbie's EA needs the critical healthcare only a hospital on the mainland can give her, and if she had to drive in for treatments it would mean a ridiculous travel time of 4 - 6 hours by car each way. Wow - to have to deal with that type of road time on top of having to get treatment for something you would NEVER in a million years wish for really just...well...sucks. Then I read how this woman doesn't have to deal with that type of road time because of a few Angels.

There is a volunteer organization called Angel Flight Northwest. Excerpt from their site:

"Angel Flight West is a nonprofit, volunteer-driven organization that arranges free, non-emergency air travel for children and adults with serious medical conditions and other compelling needs. Our network of 1,900 pilots throughout the 13 western states donate their aircraft, piloting skills, and all flying costs to help families in need, enabling them to receive vital treatment that might otherwise be inaccessible because of financial, medical, or geographic limitations.

Our pilots give freely of their time and money, restoring health and hope to those whose lives have been disrupted by illness, disaster, or other life-altering events. Their only reward is the joy of knowing how much of a difference they've made."

It is so wonderful to know that there are people out there who care so much about others. These pilots and organizers give of themselves freely just because someone needs help. I was literally brought to tears when I read about this organization.

My mother-in-law died of ovarian cancer Feb. 6, 2007. She had to drive to Dana-Farber in Boston from her home in Rhode Island everytime she needed a treatment. The drive time was about an hour and a half, and I remember thinking how difficult that must have been when she was so sick in her final months. And, to think that some people do not have the luxury of good healthcare even within a few hours of driving. Well, Angel Flight Northwest certainly answers some prayers, and for them and for the families they help I am thankful.

2 comments:

Momma Bear said...

thanks for sharing. You're such an empathetic and thoughtful person.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to google alerts everyone at GroupMV read this! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for affirming me and our Vision Day Letter team and for drawing attention to Angel Flights.
Love your blog and am so thrilled to hear how you're doing in following your beautiful heart:-) Hope to see you again.