Pages

Thursday, November 26, 2009

I did it!


I did it - 5 miles, no stopping. It was exhilarating. It started off with runners in front and the walkers in back. Friend Heather said to go more towards the back and off to the side as to not get pushed over by the super runners. She also said to take my cell so that I could call hubby at certain points. Thankfully, I did that. People were jonsing to run as soon as the horn sounded. We walked for about 2 - 3 minutes, then everyone was running. I was being passed by some very fast men, almost as fast women, probably the same man in flip flops that Heather saw (I almost called her, but then I knew I would laugh and run out of breath) - oh, and a dog, a child, and a man pushing two kids.

***Thank you to Burke and hubby who said do the 5, because if you do the 4 and finish fine, you'll wished you did the 5.*** OH! And, Burke told me I'd get a BEER at the end of the race. I was 2 minutes too late for the pumpkin pie....and NO BEER! you owe me, Burke (shaking fist). heehee

I like this picture b/c I had just finished and was trying to get my breath back.

I felt steady the whole time, but there were times I was ready to give into walking. One of the first times was when I got halfway. But, then I called hubby and got just the boost I needed to keep going. It was a little after the half way point I got a burst of energy and sped up, but then I remembered that back up Lane Ave was all hill. I didn't know if I was going to be able to make it, so I started giving myself small goals. I wanted to see how I felt once I got to my "marked" place - just get to the light, just get to Lane Avenue's light, well, heck, I can see the finish line I can't stop now!My Turkey Trot "medal!" P wouldn't smile. Both kids were a little overwhelmed by all the people and I think they thought I ran off from THEM! ha!

Many runners stopped and walked up Lane Ave. It was really challenging, and I knew it would be and that is when I called hubby again. He was so excited that I was getting close to the finish line, and that gave me another boost to finish. Once I saw the cows on Lane I knew I could make it, then I saw the flags, and then people were lined along the street cheering for the runners. I was so emotional! I am having a hard time holding back the tears as I type this. Hubby also said that he fought back tears as runners started crossing the finish line. He said that there were the incredible athletes that ran it in about 5 minutes, then there were the others who struggled a bit more. He said many women were crying as they crossed the finish line and that choked him all up. Our friend and his son were waiting for me too. We parked in their driveway and hubby called them to cheer me on at the finish line. It was such a great morning!

Yes, that is Uncle Fester.

Getting there was interesting. Some runners had already run down Lane (b/c we passed them parking) and back up as a warm up. Whah? Maybe one day I'll be at that point. Right now, I am training for a 5k on Dec. 13 with some friends. I think 3.1 miles will be in the bag!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

You're awesome!! Congratulations again!

Holli said...

Absolutely fantastic!!! I'm so happy you did this and accomplished your goal.... you rock!

BoLOGna said...

and now im all teary too!! it feels awesome to cross that line right?! congrats and looking forward to running the next one with you :)

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Congratulations, Kristin! You are a SUPERSTAR in my book! Love the pictures too. Awesome, awesome job!


(ps, I hate when people start walking right in front of me, only because it's such a temptation to join them!) But I'm proud of you for going ALL THE WAY!

You go girl!

Kris Burke McDavid said...

Ok Ok, I will buy you two beers next time I see you. Wanted to tell you again how proud I am you ran the whole way! Running can be so mental, and perservered!!!! That 5K will be cake!

Ute said...

You rock!!!
I started training for a half marathon in April. What was I thinking? It's freezing cold outside and I'm supposed to go out there and run? Couldn't it be April?