I knew is was a matter of time before bubbies got stitches. He is so physical and he also falls a ton. If you watch him play you will see he topples over almost as much as he runs and plays. It is endearing, but nerve wracking too. I find myself smiling - and then sucking in my breath and furrowing my brow seconds later. He is generally okay, until last Thursday.
He fell over his truck and he immediately came to me with lots of blood dripping down his face. I thought for sure he had bit his tongue....again. I was on the phone with my buddy AmyD and she, as she puts it, was babbling on and on because she hadn't eaten. I was trying to be calm to seem like I was in control, but as soon as I hung up I was panicking. He was grabbing his lower lip with his teeth and I could see that he had lacerated the outside of his mouth just under his lower lip and it kept opening up. I called the pediatrician and the nurse triaged me over the phone. She asked if the teeth went all the way through - well, to me, yes, it looked like they went through. The nurse then said to take him to Children's, not an urgent care, but the actual hospital because they will do a much better job stitching him up.
Well, by the time I got off the phone he was playing and laughing as if nothing had happened! He's nuts! I called hubby to tell him to hurry home b/c I didn't want to take Miss P with me to the emergency room. My fear was she'd have to watch the stitching up procedure or contract some awful flu while we waited. Luckily, hubby pulled in the driveway mere seconds later.
On the way to the emergency room bubbies was singing songs and bobbing his head. Nothing phases this tyke. We got to the hospital, great place to park, walked right in and the longest we had to wait was 30 minutes for the numbing gel to work. Then came the loooonnnnnggggest 15 minutes of my life. I had to hold my baby down while they sutured his lower lip. Poor thing struggled so hard to get him and was so angry to be pinned down. I hated having to hold him down. It was awful. I was strong for him there, but when I got home and shut my bedroom door, I broke down in tears. My good friend Kris said her mom was the same way - it must be a scorpio thing....or just a mom thing.
It has been about 5 days since the accident and he's doing great. It is a severe pain in the butt to clean it three times a day, because he *freaks* out if you even attempt to bring the q-tip near his face. But, we are managing it...with lots of his tears and a little stress.

4 comments:
I'm really glad he's doing ok... :)
Aw, poor baby.
He's looks so tough! :)
Kids sometimes scare the crap out of me, I swear. So glad he's doing alright.
Oh no!
My Valerie had to have stitches in the back of her head when she was two. I couldn't even be in the same room, I sat out in the hallway and cried while my husband held her down and the ER doc stitched her up. And I'm not a scorpio, so definitely a mom thing?
So glad he's okay!!!
Post a Comment