Pages

Monday, February 11, 2008

TV = Friend

As much as I loath TV, I love it. Seriously. I am lucky to have a child that can be entertained by it at her mere 21 months of age. I need to keep her busy when I tend to the newborn without her wrecking the house, and the PBS programs and Noggin do just that. My cousin's children are about the same age apart and she feels the same way I do. She doesn't like that she has her son in front of the tube, but at the same time it helps out...a TON. She reminded me that it won't hurt their IQ to watch a lot of TV for a few weeks. That made me feel better because I was feeling terribly guilty turning on Clifford and It's a Big World.

I am really thinking about it today because I really need a break. Time to myself to just be quiet and clean the house a bit. She has been watching PBS for a couple of hours now (well, coming and going - as much as her attention span can handle). I am having a hard time even coloring with her today. I am just so tired. I promised myself it was just for the morning. When she wakes from her nap I will be more energetic...hopefully. It will all depend on if I get a chance for a few winks.

I think the weather plays a huge part, too. I can't just go out to the park because it is so darn cold. I really am over winter; but, am happy that since I have to be holed up in the house with a newborn it is also a time when everyone kind of hibernates.

1 comment:

Momma Bear said...

TV is a wonderful resource. Take advantage of it during this time it is only temporary. I think for me I've come to the point that it has progressed into a crutch for me instead of a temporary distraction for the kids. And they have become almost unable to play by themselves with their toys. We just eliminated our tv from our living room last week actually. And I feel like the kids have returned to "normal" in that they enjoy playing with their toys and one another. I hope what I've communicated hasn't scared you! I understand what your saying. And moms that may judge need to walk in your shoes, life is very different with more that 1 baby/kid and tv is not evil in itself. Take care!!