I guess my first 4 mile run was wrapping up week one of training. It makes sense now why they asked if I was running 12 miles a week before signing up. Anyhoo...this week was hard because I've been sick, and taking care of sick children and have a sick husband. Needless to say, I am tired, really tired; but, I did my runs - not in their entirety, but I did them.
Day 1: 3 miler. Tuesday was a three mile run and I only did two, and much of it was walking. I had to hit the gym and use the dreadmill b/c of snow, and I was out of my mind after one mile. I think I brought on a side cramp just so I didn't have to finish. I am not sure if I can't get pacing or if it is a feeling of claustrophobia that hits, but I have a very difficult time on the treadmill. So: 2.5 miles down, mostly walking.
Day 2: 4-miler. I decided to get in the "racer run" this week. Racer runs are basically an additional run that you add to your training schedule that is a longer run and half of it is done at race pace. Race pace is a bit faster than what you normally run, because race days you are full of adrenaline and also wanting to keep up with faster runners, so you end up running a bit faster than your regular pace. My training group suggests running a minute behind your normal pace during training, or at a conversational pace. So, on our long Sunday runs we all talk the whole time. The pacer wants to be sure you aren't running too fast. Plus, my AWESOME pacer said that running slower to train will save your legs from injury, hopefully.
Anyhow, the race run. I got in 3.5 out of 4 miles this day. I got up at 6a to do this run, and when people started leaving for work I bailed. The roads were icy b/c we got snow the day before (hence the gym run) and I was afraid of getting hit by a sliding car. It is still really dark at 6a.
Day 3: 2-miler. Quick run, roads were clear in my neighborhood, and it was after hubby got home from work. It was hard, though, having breathing problems from congestion.
Day 4: 2-miler. Hard run - cold and lungs feeling congested. I felt a ton better after the run - it really helped clear out my lungs.
Day 5: 4-miler training group day. This was another hard day b/c I have chest congestion. It has gotten a ton better, but it is still there. I am also tired from not getting decent sleep b/c everyone in my house has been ill. But, I knew I could do it and it wasn't that bad.
Today is a rest day and I feel SO much better. I've been taking a ton of vitamin C and added a teaspoon of "the Mother" apple cider vinegar to my daily diet (yes, I am a hillbilly voodoo type of girl). Apple cider vinegar with the Mother is great for your overall health and your joints.
I will add that running outside in these cold temperature is totally doable with asthma. When it first started getting cold, I slowed my pace and my distance. Once my lungs got used to running in the cold I was fine - actually it is refreshing and I feel more accomplished running in the winter.
1 comment:
Yay Kristin!! I'm really impressed that you made it out in the bitter cold this week, especially with a cold.
My sister was trying to convince me to run a marathon with her this spring. It's not my thing at all but if she's serious I'm going to give her your contact info.
Post a Comment