Pages

Saturday, January 05, 2013

Birthdays

P went to a birthday party for two of of her school friends today. It was at a gymnastics facility. The girls played on the equipment, games, and ate cupcakes and ice cream. She had a blast.

I told her on the way home that she was lucky to get to go to so many fun birthday parties. I explained that when I was a child we had the grandparents over and aunts and uncles, and ate cake and ice cream. I never had a birthday where my friends were invited until I was much older, and definitely not outside of the home! She couldn't believe that and asked me if I was sad about it. I said "noway! That is the way things were and I was honored that they wanted to celebrate with me and give me gifts...even if they were "just" my family." Funny how I have become my mother with the "remember-whens." But, I now understand she had a message in her words. I just wasn't listening then...

Be kind, gracious, and well-mannered toward your friends and family. They love you and give you gifts and compliments out of kindness, so be kind back.

No comments: