Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2007

New car!

So, how many people can actually be sad when they get a new car? Well, count me in that minority. I just got a new car yesterday and felt more like crying than jumping for joy. See, the last time I got a new car it was because the last one was a piece of crap and actually cost more money fixing it than the car was worth. Ah yes, not so fond memories of that 97 Volkswagon Jetta, BUT great memories of the car I got in its stead: a 2004 Scion XB. LOVE that car.

My Scion started to be a part of me...well, not exactly, my point is, anyplace I went I never lost my car. Plus, I talked to endless amounts of people about the car. Everyone had a comment from, "it looks like a mini on steriods" to "that car has a lot of room" then a nod, which solidified the fact they thought the car was "interesting" to say the least. I know the XB is very different looking than other things on the road, and that is part of the reason I love(d) it so much. However, all that love doesn't change the fact that there simply is not enough room to cart my darling daughter around and get groceries. It really wasn't meant for a stroller, baby gear, a car seat and baby toys on top of doing all of your errands. Anyone with a baby knows there are certain things that just stay in the car because you are either: a. too lazy to keep bringing it in just to bring it out the next time you go someplace, b. you can just leave it and c. why bother taking it out when you never know where you'll be, and heaven forbid you don't have that thingy you put in the cart at the grocery store to keep your child semi-germ-free.

I complained to hubby a number of times that it doesn't have enough room and he was getting tired of driving his little 99 standard civic to work. Now that he is a manager of a Fortune 500 internet department he can't be towing co-workers around in a car that they can barely get in and out of...or possibly not fit in...that car is not big. So, we went to the auto show and saw a cute car that looks like a minivan on a shrinking pill - the Mazda 5. It is all the rage for families in Europe and Japan and they are only bringing 60,000 of the cars to the US this year. It is cute, great to drive and has plenty of room...but, it just isn't my XB. How silly is that?! I get what I want and am sad.

Hubby and I discussed it and came to a few conclusions:
1. It signifies that I truly am a mom and am looking out for my family, not simply to have a cool car.
2. Guilt: part of the money we spent on the car came from what Sheilah left us. It solidifies the fact she won't be back. I wore her ring yesterday so she was with us...maybe that is why we got such a good deal.
3. Guilt: because I am getting the next new car, when really it should be Shane. BUT, he loves the XB as much as I do. The car is practically still new and just needs a wash to shine like it did the day we bought it. The XB gets tremendous gas mileage, too.

In essence, I just needed to get this off my chest so I just go drive my car around and stop being a woosie.

No comments: