Suet: oily or greasy matter making up the bulk of fatty tissue in animals and in seeds and other plant tissue. This fat is mixed with seed to make bird food.
I never knew what it was until we got the cold snap in March. Three robins lost their lives on our front porch because of starvation from the cold. The berries they usually eat in the winter had become frozen making it hard for them to swallow. It was so sad to see them struggle trying to ingest a frozen berry. Many birds would swarm around one tree trying to get food. I took bread out to them and currants, but little did I know that suet was a choice food for robins in the winter. I had no idea what it was so I had to research it - but then I didn't know where to find it. I finally saw it at Giant Eagle the other day...of course, by this time it was too late to save the lives of the little birdies that died in our front yard.
We decided to get suet feeders and keep them in our yard. Hubby and I want to be sure that if a bird comes into our yard it will find food. We picked up the suet feeders at Big Lots! and suet at Krogers. How easy is that? Why couldn't I figure that out a month ago?
Well, now we have two feeders hanging from trees in our backyard. There is a cardinal and two squirrels keeping guard of the green wire cages full of fat and seed. They vanish when the dogs go out to pee. It is quite humerous to watch the wildlife guard the food and then the dogs guard the yard from the wildlife. I just hope Piper doesn't catch one.
No comments:
Post a Comment