Ethan was sick last week - nothing horrible, but none-the-less sick. As a newborn I had to take him into he pediatrician. I am glad I did for peace of mind. Well,I thought it was over and then he woke up Monday with blood in his stool. I called the doctor again and had to bring him in. They tested his poo and found that there was indeed blood throughout. This time you couldn't really see that there was blood in there, and he had diarreah. I had NO idea what baby diarreah looked like in breastfed babies because it is always some form of runny. Well, now I do know what it looks like and I feel terrible because Ethan has had diarreah pretty much since he was born.
Turns out the baby may have milk protein intolerance. I had to keep him and me off of all dairy products for 4 days. He was/is supposed to clear up in about 4 days. Hopefully, he does today because today is day 4. I take him in for his 2 month check-up and immunizations on Monday; I will also take in a stool sample in this nice little bottle they gave me. It comes supplied with a little scooper and all! I never thought I would be so poop-focused in my life, but it seems every few hours that I change a poopy diaper I am examining it as if I am looking for gold.
On a lighter note, Ethan smiles all the time. When I am concentrating the most or getting frustrated with Peyton is when it seems he beems at me. I catch a glimpse of him and have to do a double take. That is when he and I make eye contact and he just smiles and coos. It has to be the sweetest thing ever. I just love it! And, I am the only one he does it for right now and that gives me all sorts of warm fuzzies. He also grounds me when I see him smile at me - it gives me a moment to just look in his eyes and realize that he and Peyton are the most important things in my life right now. What on earth would I do without them?
I also had "that" moment with Ethan. When Peyton was a baby I remember looking at her and I felt as if I was looking into a mirror. It was an incredible moment that made me feel so connected to my child. It was wonderful. Well, yesterday I had it with Ethan. I hope I always feel connected with my kids. When Ethan was born I felt I lost that connection with P and it was so troubling to me. I cried constantly for that "lost" relationship. Well, it was a short time period and now we are back to what we were before. She just understands mommy has to share some of her time with baby brother. It is all good.
No comments:
Post a Comment