Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dogs

I cannot believe the news I have heard about dogs biting or attacking children. My sis-in-law shared this story: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070913/NEWS06/709130386/1001/NEWS

It is frightening that a dog can attack without warning - even if it was a loving, wonderful pet that never hurt a fly and then suddenly decides to attack. It scares me because I go walking with P and let her play on the kid's gym at the park. At that particular park many people do not leash their dogs because they let them run with them or let them play in the creek. One time a big lab came right up to the stroller and kept licking P in the face. I couldn't get to the dog quick enough to stop it (and I was RIGHT behind the stroller)...what if that was a dog that wanted to bite her? I wouldn't not have been quick enough to stop the dog. And, they say dogs always go for kids' heads and faces first. I laughed because P laughed and the dog was just licking her, but after I thought about it I was kind of angry because that dog should have been leashed. I mean, I don't let my kid run around and hit those people's dogs and throw toys at them? Why should they let their dog come right up to my child and lick her or God forbid, bite her?

My two dogs (miniature schnauzers) were not friendly towards P at all when she was a little baby, and now that she is a toddler they are better. I basically trained them to know that P was their boss just like I am their boss. Even if she is playing in her babyway they have to deal with it. I do not even tolerate a small growl. And, I am not opposed to smacking my dogs if they are out of line. Some people think that is awful, but I don't really care. Would you rather have my dog bite your kid or me to smack them when they are doing something really bad?

I am calling my city office today to complain about the dog and leash law. I am pretty sure in my state that all dogs need to be on leashes. There is a dog park not far from here where people can let their dogs run off leash and run wild with other dogs. I don't even think it costs money. So, if someone is hell bent on letting their dog play off leash they can take them there. I never walk my dogs off leash just for the mere thought of them hurting someone because they are just being dogs...and they are not even a foot tall.

No comments: