Well, heck yes, spinach for breakfast. Just as long as you can't taste it. Thanks to The Sneaky Chef cookbook Miss P has eaten spinach for breakfast for two days in a row...and doesn't even know it! Plus, I get a vege in so I don't have to stress about it for lunch.
This cookbook has really been a lifesaver. Miss P is still only eating pureed or milled veges; she will not eat little pieces. I have a babyfood mill by Kidco, but it only does individual servings. I wanted to come up with some of way of making batch veges that could go in just about anything or be eaten alone. The Sneaky Chef gives great ideas and offers great, healthy recipes. I have a whole tray of carrots and sweet potatoes in the freezer that are ready to spread on grilled cheese, add to meatloaf, to spaghetti sauce, etc. There are a variety of purees that you can even add to brownies (store-bought mix or from scratch). She teaches you how to make strawberry and blueberry juice to add to milk (for kids who are little bit older I would assume-I don't add ANYTHING to P's milk right now. I have a friend who added Quick to her baby's milk to get her to drink it and it ended up giving the child eight cavities by the time she was 2!), jello or oatmeal.
I may be a bit fanatical when it comes to my kid's diet, but I DO not want her to be one of those obese teens. I was heavy in middle-school and my life was hell - I will do everything in my power so my child doesn't have to experience it. I really think my life would be different if I didn't have those horrible childhood teasings and learned to make good food choices on my own. Hopefully, what I am doing will pay off in the end. I try to eat well, too, so I am an example. And I just pray there aren't low-rise jeans and mid-drif shirts as the fashion for teen girls....oh jeez...one more thing to worry about....
No comments:
Post a Comment