Pages

Friday, November 16, 2007

18 Month Dr.'s Visit

P had her 18 month visit to the pediatrician today. She broke my heart. She was fine when we walked in to the office and played with some of the toys. As soon as the nurse called her she started wimpering. When we got into the room she full out cried. She was scared because she remembered that she doesn't like what happens in that room.

She kept saying "wanna go bye-bye." I was almost in tears when the doctor was checking her out and she was getting her shots because she was crying so hard. As soon as I picked her up she was fine, though.

All in all it was a good visit. I learned a lot about discipline, got the name of a good author that gives advice on raising a toddler and got my questions answered about when to switch her into a toddler bed, how to deal with her eating habits and what to expect over the next couple of months.

As far as discipline, the doc said to not even try a negative reaction to her tantrums (like time-out) until she is at least 2 years old. He said right now she doesn't comprehend certain punishments and that the biggest punishment I can give her is to take myself away from her. For instance, if she is throwing a temper tantrum about a cookie, let her cry and scream but don't give her the cookie and tell her that you will wait until she is done. You walk away and don't talk to her or interact with her until she is calm. That is going to be hard. I hate to see her cry...but, I know I have to be the parent and "parent" her. That is my job...as much as I want to be the big sister, the friend, the playmate, I primarily need to be her mom and her parent. That is hard for me because I just want to let her do whatever she wants so she is happy - but I know raising her like that would not make her happy when she older and has to face the consequences or the judgements of a relentless society.

No comments: