P and I had her play class at the rec center this morning. It is an hour long class where the kids 18 months and older get to run around and play with toys, do a craft and sing and dance. The toys they have are the big toys you wouldn't neccessarily have in your home. They also have balls and mats everywhere so kids can roll around and run and kick/throw the balls. It is a ton of fun for them. P gets a little overwhelmed and needs mommy's reassurance to keep playing. It is rather cute...even though I would love for her to just run and play the whole time to get some energy out! haha!
Today we made little turkey puppets for Thanksgiving. They were basically just little turkeys with two holes in the bottom for your fingers. The kids got to color them and put feathers on them. Well, mommy more or less colored it and pasted the feathers on while P just played with the crayons and made a few little scribbles here and there. :) I just love watching her color and "help" me with the craft.
All the parents and kids pretty much leave at the same time. Some moms mill around the rec center and let the kids look at the kids in swim lessons or the pictures they have on the walls. I try to pay attention to moms and kids so I know who is with who just in case I need to grab a mom. Well, thank goodness I do pay attention. Today when we were walking into the parking one of the little boys from P's class was running out in to the road crying. He was maybe 2 years old. I looked back because I know his mom is always running to catch him (he's a busy boy!) and I didn't see her. I immediately went over to him and told him it was okay and that we'd find his mommy. He was saying mommy, mommy. Luckily with P in my arms he took my hand and I didn't need to catch him and calm him down. Poor little guy. I reassured him we'd find mommy and we started walking back to the rec center. I can't EVEN imagine what was going through his mom's head when she couldn't find him. Well, it was pretty much written all over her face when I saw her - the looks of alarm and fear all wrapped in one. She was walking fearfully to the exit looking to see if he was in the parking lot. She immediately saw me holding his hand bringing him to her and let out a huge sigh. Poor thing - she just held him and he cried and cried. I told her where I saw him and she thanked me. Other people were just letting him run right by them...that really broke my heart and I thank(ed) God I was there and that little boy didn't hit by a car or was hard to sway to get him to come with P and I to get his mommy. I am sure he recognized us from class, too.
It is not a joke when other moms tell you that you need to keep constant watch on little ones. In a split second they can run off and you won't be able to find them - I experienced that first hand today. Even though they are pint sized, they are fast!!
No comments:
Post a Comment