Pages

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Scared, much?

This weekend was really rough with my new little baby. It all started with a bottle I gave him of half EBM and half formula. He took the bottle okay and seemed okay for the following two hours, then it all started. My poor little guy started puking and didn't stop for about an hour. We took him to the Children's urgent care to get check out. At first they just checked him out, but then he got sick in front of the doctor. It was a little too green she said and wanted to x-ray him. The x-rays came back okay. He just had bubbles in his tummy and intestines which were the cause of his puking and diarreah. Basically, the bubbles signified a virus he had gotten. Who knows where he could have gotten that! We have been all over the place with playtimes, classes and shopping - I mean, I can't just stay in the house...especially with a toddler. I have to come to terms with the fact that I am going to expose him to germs and that he may get sick. It is so hard knowing it is probably all my fault he got sick.

Saturday night he just kind of laid in my arms with his eyes looking so drowsy and as if he was in pain. His little cry was like no cry I had heard from him since he was born. It was kind of a half cry like saying "I hurt, mommy." It just broke my heart.

The doctor said to just feed him an ounce or EBM or Pedialyte or let him "snack" if I wanted to breastfeed. If he ate too much we risked him puking it all up again because his tummy just wasn't in a state to handle too much food. We got through the night okay. He ate a little bit through the night and fed okay on Sunday morning. Then the next scare happened - there was what looked like blood in his diaper from peeing. I called my pediatrician again and she said that it wasn't blood but uric acid crystals from being dehydrated. Interesting. Then at lunchtime I fed him too much and he got sick all over me. That was so awful. It came out his nose and he just screamed and cried and cried. That was the last time he got sick, though - thankfully. Since then he has eaten, just less than normal, and he has had diarreah. He is peeing fine which means he is not getting dehydrated from the diarreah. If he stops urinating as much I am going to take him in again, but the pediatrician didn't seem too worried. She said a stomach virus was going around in kids. argh! Makes me not want to let anyone hold him or touch him for fear of him getting ill again. It is so scary when they get sick at such a young age.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Baby Boy!! Poor Mommy!
Aunt D