Pages

Thursday, July 17, 2008

The diapers are here!

I received my cloth diapers in the mail yesterday! I was so excited when I got home and saw the two fluffy packages laying on my doorstep. I opened them up and then thought "$h!t, the reality is here!" haha! Seriously, I was very happy to have all the stuff I needed to get started. Today I have been doing nothing but prepping them, except for the BumGenius 3.0 - those are so EASY! I washed the BG twice and then dried them. The first wash was with a bit of Purex to get out any impurities and the second was to get out any leftover soap before I put them on my kids' butts. However, the Indian prefolds and the Kissaluvs contour diaper need to be washed 3 - 5 times. It seems like it has taken all day because they need to be thoroughly dried after each wash as well. BUT, once I am done they will be ready to go and I can diaper away.

I mentioned kidS...yes, kidS. Peyton was actually okay with wearing one of the BG diapers. She wanted to be like baby brother and wear a blue one, so I put it on her. She did not complain and I kept asking if she was comfortable and she said yes. So, I left it on her and she ended up only wanting the diaper on and her shirt. It seems she just wanted to show it off, or look at it...who knows. As long as she has something on that helps trap the poo I don't care, but running around nude is not such a good idea. Last time she ran around all naked she squatted and peed on her floor. But from stories I have heard from other parents, squatting and peeing on the floor is nothing compared to the artwork some children have left for mommy and daddy to clean up. Maybe it is a matter of time, and maybe I just jinxed myself. It'd be great, though, if P would let me cloth diaper her - I'd save even more money! She is getting close to being potty trained, but we are talking a few months - I still need diapers. Luckily, too, P and E wear the same size as far as the BG goes because it is one size fits all. Uhmm...how easy could this get?

It is kind of crazy to see the diapers in their virgin form. The prefolds are flat pieces of rectangle cloth. When you wash them they quilt up and shrink a bit looking like they need ironed. I guess what happens when you do the initial washing you strip the oils out of the cloth to make them absorbant. From one site I visited the BG and prefolds are the winners in regards to absorbancy...BUT, I think it depends on your baby and I also think it depends on how you fold the prefold. Luckily there are sites that explain how to fold them so you can avoid as much leakage as possible, such as this one: http://www.thediaperhyena.com/diaper_folding101.htm. It is a 101 on diaper folding...hey, I took a 101 to learn how to sew, why not fold diapers?

One of my favorite celebrities cloth (and still possibly does) diapers her daughter: Maggie Gyllenhaal. She has also been "spotted" breastfeeding her daughter in public. OH NO! She breastfeeds and cloth diapers? Of course, I am sure little Ramona has super cute bumpster hiders that I could only hope to look at without going into debt. But, I really didn't like the way the media portrayed MG like she was a bit on the weird side for taking care of her child in the most natural way possible. It was quite annoying to see the tabloids exploiting the big M nursing her wee one in a park - Big Deal! Let the woman feed her child. The best food for baby, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, is breastmilk .

If I did not feed Ethan mommy's milk he'd be on a hypo-allergenic formula like Alimintum (of course, some women can't breastfeed...and it is what it is). Check out the ingredients, many of which I don't even know what they are...and I'd have to feed it to my baby....:

Water 87% , Sugar 4.4% - Sucrose , Casein Hydrolysate 2.3% - Derived from Milk , Modified Tapioca Starch 2.2% , Safflower Oil 1.4% , Medium Chain Triglycerides 1.3% , Soy Oil 1.1% , C. Cohnii Oil Less than 0.5% of - Source of Docosahexaenoic Acid - DHA , M. Alpina Oil Less than 0.5% of - Source of Arachidonic Acid - ARA , Calcium Citrate Less than 0.5% of , Calcium Phosphate Less than 0.5% of , Carrageenan Less than 0.5% of , Potassium Phosphate Less than 0.5% of , Ascorbic Acid Less than 0.5% of , Magnesium Chloride Less than 0.5% of , Calcium Hydroxide Less than 0.5% of , Potassium Citrate Less than 0.5% of , Sodium Chloride Less than 0.5% of , L-Cystine Dihydrochloride Less than 0.5% of , Potassium Chloride Less than 0.5% of , L-Tyrosine Less than 0.5% of , Choline Chloride Less than 0.5% of , L-Tryptophan Less than 0.5% of , Ferrous Sulfate Less than 0.5% of , Taurine Less than 0.5% of , M-Inositol Less than 0.5% of , Zinc Sulfate Less than 0.5% of , DL-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate Less than 0.5% of , L-Carnitine Less than 0.5% of , Niacinamide Less than 0.5% of , Calcium Pantothenate Less than 0.5% of , Cupric Sulfate Less than 0.5% of , Riboflavin Less than 0.5% of , Vitamin A Palmitate Less than 0.5% of , Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride Less than 0.5% of , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride Less than 0.5% of , Folic Acid Less than 0.5% of , Potassium Iodide Less than 0.5% of , Potassium Hydroxide Less than 0.5% of , Phylloquinone Less than 0.5% of , Biotin Less than 0.5% of , Sodium Selenate Less than 0.5% of , Vitamin D3 Less than 0.5% of , Cyanocobalamin Less than 0.5% of



1 comment:

ZM said...

We use the prefolds inside of gDiapers, and I'm a happy, happy mama. (We started with only 'sposies, then moved to gDiapers, then started alternating cloth and disposable liners in the gDipes, and on and on.)

And don't get me started on Alimentum. Horrible expensive stuff.