Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mood

I wish we were all able to have little circular indicators of our mood posted on our foreheads. This parenting thing has had me on a few forums for help from fellow parents who breastfeed, cloth diaper, make babyfood, kids with allergies, and I have even joined movie and book forums to discuss my other interests, too. The thing that I find comical is the mood indicator. That little circle or even just a few short phrases or a word that says so and so is happy or sad or in a crunchy mood. Like really, why do I care? But, I do care. I guess it is a way of putting some warmth behind the writer/poster so we can all remember life isn't black and white typed letters. That when we post on a forum we are actually "talking" to another human, not just a computer screen. I guess that is why flaming is so easy to do - you don't know the person you are corresponding with nor are you going to see the person, and I am pretty sure finding the identity out of the person you are writing rude things (or flaming) to would be a rather difficult and lengthy endeavor. The more I think about it the more I realize the mood indicator is actually a really, really good thing, and why hasn't anyone invented one that we can all carry around with us?

The device would make my life so much easier because then I wouldn't have to have my husband *guess* at what I am feeling. As a woman it is my right to have the opposite or same sex have to guess when I am irritated with them - I should not have to say anything or address the situation passive aggressively - it should just be recognizable. Since I can't just live in Kristin reality, the next best thing is I could simply have a little indicator that senses my mood and phrase pops up to let everyone know why I am acting the way I am acting. I like the idea of a phrase, especially if you could customize it. For instance, you are having a conversation with your husband about not leaving his socks around. If you had an indicator that read "don't f with me today" he may respond kindly "whatever you say dear" and proceed to pick up his socks and put them in the laundry. But, if your indicator said "hoopdi doo, hoopdi doo today just rocks" then husband may know he has a bit of leeway and respond with "I'll try, but I can't guarantee I'll pick them up. That is just how I roll." He knows you'll be more apt to smile, maybe laugh and agree to the fact that he can be a slob sometimes. But, if he responded like that when the indicator said "don't f with me" then there'd be some trouble brewing.

The device could work well with co-workers and friends too. You know, people who you care if you piss off. Ha! (we all know that there is an unsaid rule about hurting the closest to you and saying sorry later if never....well, there should be) This way when you show up to your friend's house with a red alert "don't f with me today" they know to kind of steer clear of any topics that may anger you. Like, your husband. ha! Really, my hubby is great, I just love to use him as an example because it is just too easy.

Problems? Sure - as in having to be honest about how you are feeling. Or not honest so people just stay away from you so you can do whatever it is you want to do. This device, as I think more about it, could have some serious downfalls. What if your waiter was already big and scary and then to top it off had a "dfwm" mood indicator on....and your hamburger had a big bug in it. What would you do then? OOOhhh....this could be pretty awful. You may not say anything and just eat the bug to stay away from impending doom, or you could say something and risk the chance of eating the bug anyhow. I was a waiter once, I know the horrible things people do to food.

Well, so much for my really, really bad invention - besides, can't we still buy mood rings? For now I suppose the forums' mood indicators will suffice.

1 comment:

ZM said...

*grin*

I made three cards for the boys: one is green, and has a happy picture ("Happy Mum"), one is yellow and has a serious picture ("Medium Mum") and one is red, and has an angry picture ("Mad Mum"). I put the appropriate one up on the fridge, or invite the kids to look at me and tell me how they think I feel...

But nothin' like that around for my husband. Poor guy.