I was talking to Beth and Heather about cloth diapering at mommies group this week. I seem to be more and more interested in this diapering method as the hours pass. I never really thought too much about it until now...two years after changing diapers for one and now of two little tykes. I never researched it because I know myself: I'd ruin the cloth diapers because I'd forget to change the washer load to the dryer load, and besides that, the thought of cloth diapering when P was little grossed me out. But, after having baby #2 I realize how easy it was to take care of baby #1 and think I could quite possibly handle the idea of scraping poo into the toilet. hmmm...did I really write that?! and, do I really mean that?! I think...perhaps...I do.
B and H gave me a ton of helpful advice. Beth brought up an excellent point - you don't have to cloth diaper ALL of the time. She said I said a similar thing to her about breastfeeding (basically, if you need a break you can give a bottle of formula and your baby will be JUST fine...and some mommies need that break if they have one or two or more little ones running around when your baby is cluster feeding). I think this is great. I know I would be a bit overwhelmed having so much pee and poo soaked laundry to do at first, and it'd be great to just ease into it to see if I like it. From what they told me, it is better for butts and for the environment, and a very important point...the pocketbook. You can buy the "gear" you'll need up front for about $300 and that can last you for a year or two (if you take care of your "gear"). I did the math on my only diaper of choice, Pampers, and I probably spend over $1700 a year in diapers. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but I'd really have to earn my poop and pee stripes if I decide to cloth diaper...it doesn't seem as easy.
I spoke to hubby about it last night and he totally supports whatever I choose to do. He made the very good point that is it I (meaning me) that changes all of the diapers (pretty much), anyhow, so it truly is my decision. hmmmmm....I hate having to make-up my mind, but I think I have. Now, I remember buying a Kushies bathing suit for P when she started swim lessons at 9 months. It seemed like an easy thing...and no buying of disposable swim diapers. BUT, if she would happen to poo in her suit, I would have had to have a new suit on hand depending on the timing of the poo. I couldn't just dump the poo and then put the poo stained suit back on her...ewwwe...So, I can see where it would get pricey. Another great piece of advice was to sell the stuff when I am through using it. Beth sold her used "gear" to a lady in France. Beth is using Kushies and Heather is using BumGenius. I am going to do a little research on cloth diapering and "gear" to see if I truly can dedicate myself to this little butt covering challenge.
3 comments:
I should have done cloth diapers with Annabelle. Her bottom is so sentive to disposable diapers. You do have to change them as soon as the are wet but they are more comfortable than having that darn tap scrapping your side. Did you ever think of diaper service? Ange did that and she loved it. Put a stinky pail on your porch and a pile of clean, fresh diapers appear magically. Perfect, if you ask me.
D
We started with disposables (Ru was a NICU baby) even tho I had always intended to cloth. But there aren't a lot of cloth options when you have a preemie.
Anyway, the point of my comment was to tell you you can go even cheaper for not really much more work. I do prefolds and "diaper wraps" Basically instead of the plastic pants covers of our parents time, they have waterproof (breathable) fabric covers that close with velcro. Basically the same diapers your friends have except the absorbent part is separate from the cover. So you can reuse the covers all day if they don't get poop on them and just swap out the cloth part.
The breastfed baby poop is water soluble, no toilet required, and there's flushable rice paper type liners you can get for your big girl. :)
The really cool part is you don't actually have to buy prefold diapers. Since it doesn't need a more absorbant middle piece (because you aren't using the sides to pin, etc, it can all go in the middle) I chopped up a bunch of old stained towels I got for dirt cheap at a thrift store.
Good luck!
Oh, btw, my fave diaper wraps are bummis super whisper wraps and bumkins wraps. I do have one bumgenius diaper, but they are so much more expensive and I want to stay home with baby, so we'll stick with the 2 piece system.
Post a Comment