Pages

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Skunk?!

Last night Piper killed a skunk. It was HORRIBLE, and still is HORRIBLE. The smell is stuck in our house, mainly because the smell is in the air and is coming through our vents and also because I let Loki in and didn't know she had been sprayed. UGH!!!

We went to my parent's house for some 4th left-overs and were both really tired. P has been up for the passed three nights in the middle of the night crying and then the baby is still up, so we were just plain tired. We thought oh, get the kiddos in their pj's at Gammies' house and then come home, put them to bed and then crash. Well...it didn't quite work out that way. I let the dogs out, as usual, when we got home. Well, when I went outside to let Loki in Piper wouldn't come to me. My gut feeling was that he was killing an animal. I was right. Last time it was a baby raccoon, and this time worse, a stinkin' skunk. It was pitch black so all I could do was hear Piper making these weird sounds which made me think it might not have been him that won the battle. I ran in and grabbed the flashlight, I wasn't about to go out there without being able to see my enemy. As I got closer I could hear Piper and see him. He was savage. It was foul.

I ran in and grabbed hubby from putting P down and asked him to go out there. He came back in and told me that Piper had killed a skunk and that the dog was making sure it was dead. That was the noise: Piper's death dance. YUCK.

So, we got back inside and determined that Piper had to sleep outside. He smelled worse than anything I have ever smelled before. It was like a mixture of sewage, super strong onions and that putrid hit-by-a-car skunk smell. Hubby put on gloves and grabbed bags to get the skunk - we dumped him in the dumpster at the school....shame on us, but we couldn't have that revolting stentch in our garage trash can. Besides, the kids are out for the summer. While hubby was disposing of the carcus, I was frantically in search of ways to clean the dogs and get the smell out of the house. All I wanted to do was scream obscentities at the situation, but I couldn't wake the kids. :)

Well, when hubby got back from his little errand, we came to the conclusion Loki was the reason the house smelled so bad...and, she was laying on the couch downstairs. I swore I couldn't smell it on her. I think because it was so potent that she just blended in with the eminating stentch. I immediately took her upstairs for a bath in a mixture I found on a forum and then washed her down with deoderizing shampoo, baby shampoo and then used my Aveda Rosemary Mint on her. We put her crate together and she is still in it. I am afraid to let her out - what if that smell is laying in the grass and she rolls in it. But, I don't want to stand outside because it smells horrible out there.

This makes for such a lovely day. I had thoughts of getting rid of Piper when E was born for the ease of having just one dog to take care of, plus Piper had a hard time adjusting to the new baby and I was annoyed with his weird dogginess...now I really want to get rid of him. Hubby thinks I am mean, but now I have to take care of his mess instead of my kids' messes and that just makes me angry.

2 comments:

Momma Bear said...

i totally understand how you feel and don't think you're mean for wanting to find him a new home. After W was born, Gidget & Salvadore were awful! Not so much that they did anything awful (at first) but more that it was already difficult adjusting to and taking care of an infant. But Gidget developed Lymphoma when W was 2 months old and had 2 or so weeks to live, very sad, but honestly it made life easier. I do miss her greatly though. Salvadore on the other hand started shredding dirty diapers all over the couch every time we'd leave the house. It took a long time for us to decide to look for a new house for him. We didn't want to give our 1st baby away after having him for 6 years, since he was 4 weeks old! But we found a great family after looking for about 6 months and he now has a farm to run on and a pond to jump in and a cohort to wrestle with. We get pics periodically from the retired couple that took him for us.
It's rough having an animal when it's already a challenge with two little people. And when they go and do something that adds to the chaos ohhh that is really hard to deal with...i understand.

Kristyn said...

How gross! I feel terrible for you guys. You never want to think of your dogs as animals - but when they kill it makes you realize that they are not furry babies. I'm eager to hear how this whole story plays out.