Pages

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Movies...really?

As a mom, there a many things I don't get to do now and when I got to them I took them totally for granted. One of those things was going to the movies. I loved going to the movies: alone, with someone, at night, during the day, on the weekend. I was not a movie snob either; I watched everything...sometimes even at the dollar...ewe. When I met hubby I was thrilled he shared the same love of movies as me. On the weekends we were even known to see up to two movies with friends or with just each other. At the time I thought it was fun, and then when I had my first child movies became a waste of time.

I remember the first movie I saw was Eragon after P was born. It had been a few months after her birth and hubby told me to go and get some alone time - relax he said. I felt so weird going and buying my ticket, getting my small popcorn and soda and then sitting in the theater. And then the movie really sucked...the book was pretty good (for being written by a tween), and I was hoping for a decent fantasy. After that pile of doodoo was over I was so upset that I wasted those two hours away from my little girl. So, I stopped going to see movies. That was two years ago and since then I have seen maybe three.

Then E was born. My mind changed back to wishing I could take the time to see two movies in one weekend...alone...away from everyone calling my name or needing me for something. The thought of getting out for two hours to see a movie sounded like heaven! But, an impossibility because in those beginning months I couldn't even run to the bathroom by myself for two seconds much less sit in a theater for two hours. Until this weekend.

I had to miss mommies night out because hubby's schedule is just crazy right now. So, I popped an email out apologizing for missing the festivities and asked if anyone would be interested in a matinee. I didn't even think about it - I didn't ask hubby - I didn't think about leaving the kids for two hours - I just did it. My friend Susan said she may be interested.

Well, Friday came around and Susan was able to go. I looked up movie times and we saw The Dark Knight, which was an EXcellent choice, btw. We were like two giddy schoolgirls. We sat in the theater all excited with our popcorn and Junior Mints and kept saying how happy we were to be there. It was insane! But, Susan, like me, has a child and doesn't get much time to herself...and like me, chose the matinee time closest to her child's naptime as not to disrupt the whole schedule we as mommies work so hard to institute (makes life a whole lot easier!). It is amazing how these early years of child rearing truly pull you out of society into a world that only other mommies can understand. It is almost like Stardust. Once you cross through the hole in the wall your life will never be the same...and only those people who have crossed over truly understand how different your life has become. Of course, I will miss this time of not being able to go to the movies when the time comes that I can go whenever I want again.

No comments: