Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Dad and I

My dad and I have had issues in our past and our present. He can be difficult to get along with at times and he thinks I am difficult, so we butt heads or I just get mad and don't say anything. Well, we had a really long conversation about a ton of things - me, hubby, my brother and his family and my mom. It was nice to see where we were both coming from and giving each other the space to understand each other.

He said something enlightening to me that I generally am very aware of, or at least try to be. But, it is understanding what others are going through and their feelings. We get so caught up in our daily lives and getting upset at how someone else is driving or how someone didn't call us back or how someone didn't hold the door when our hands were obviously full. We have become a very self-centered society and expect others to help us out or don't expect others to help us out. The thing is, we are all here living together, sharing this earth, this neighborhood, this house or this road. Why can 't we all take a little extra time when we are out and about to do something nice for someone. Let them over in your lane even if they have to turn in front of you, hold the door for someone - or smile for crying out loud! These are all trivial things that we all deal with (pretty much) on a daily basis. There are more deep-rooted issues and feelings going on within my family, and much of it is left unsaid and people harbor bad feelings. I was doing that for a while and decided I couldn't take it anymore, and that is why I had to have "a" talk with my dad.

I have to say it was great to air everything out - very scary at the same time because we didn't want to hurt each others feelings with our honesty. But, honesty is the best. And now I feel like I have even more of an understanding with my dad and can give him more flexibility to be himself and he can give me the same respect. I only hope others can do it, too, but that is not for me to make happen. People need to face their problems themselves and in their own time.

Well - on that note....I am going to call my dad and yell at him about something. haha!

No comments: