No wonder the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends waiting on watching TV for children until they are 2...they get addicted easily and obsessed. My husband popped Nemo in one day for Miss P while I was out having some mommy-time and she now can't get enough of it. She asks to watch it all the time. I indulge sometimes, but that is only when I need to get things done - laundry, cooking, cleaning -otherwise I have no time to get those things done because she is constantly into something or demanding my attention.
She is watching it right now because I am a sucker. My mom and I took her with us to a craft/art show and lunch yesterday. She was so patient as we browsed jewelry, artwork and knit-wear. When we went to lunch she sat like a champ and colored while we waiting far too long for a soup and salad. Then she went back to my mom's house with us and kept herself busy while I helped mom set up Christmas stuff. I was so proud of her...despite the few little tantrums and refusals to get her diaper changed. So, today when she asked to watch Nemo I let her. I know I should probably turn the TV off and let her color or something, but I need to get some laundry done, clean the kitchen and get the dogs settled with breakfast - and all those little things take too much time if I am chasing her around or having to carry her on my hip. Plus with #2 due in just 7 weeks I am feeling physically tired and just plain big - I get in the way of myself. haha!
She doesn't just sit and watch Nemo the whole time, but she does watch the majority of it. She likes to have it on while she goes through books or plays "feed the animals" with her stuffed toys. I do set limits - like since she watched TV today she won't get to watch it again for a few days. Then I'll let her see Elmo's World on Sesame Street or a part of Nemo while I cook dinner. I just don't like for her to watch too much TV. I refuse to have an inactive child with weight problems because she is a couch potato. Let's save the self-indulgence for when she is a teenager, and by then hopefully she'll be too busy to tune into Nemo.
1 comment:
it gets a lot more difficult to not use the tv when the second comes along, i found. I realized recently that the tv has become a crutch and i'm trying to be proactive and place more limits on tv time.
I tell you some days i want to throw the tv out the door b/c it's such a temptation, especially being pregnant and having two little ones who require me a lot.
Tv is a mixed blessing. B/c although i loathe it more these days i also appreciate it when i do need time to get stuff done or when i'm sick.
Post a Comment