Pages

Friday, September 01, 2006

September and school

There is something about the early days of September that get me all vaclemp'd. I was the kid who always got excited to return to a new year in school. School, to me, was the start of something new: new things to do, new things to accomplish, and a new chance to apply myself and get good grades. Even now, I still get that feeling that something new is about to begin in September.

I am actually in school now to get a licensure to teach middle grades. Uhmmm...can't seem to let this school thing go. This will be my second career (as long as you don't count bartending, waiting tables or trying to get into acting as a career). My one regret is that it wasn't my first and only career. I truly wish I was grounded enough and received enough direction and advice to be an education major my first go around at college. Maybe then I would have applied myself and felt like getting a college education really meant something. But, when I was in college, I thought growing up socially was the reason I was there. I knew I needed a degree, but I really didn't understand the importance of it until I went for my first job when I lived in New York City. Then, thank goodness I had a college degree...even if it was in Ancient Roman studies (I am such a geek).

Anyhow, I am absolutely stoked about becoming a teacher, especially now that I have a child. I mean, the career is perfect for moms and for people who want to try to make a difference. I think my passed experiences and worldliness will help when I become a teacher. Hopefully, the kids will learn at least one thing from me...that it is great to at least try. Even if you don't become successful initially, the fact that you even tried something makes you a stronger and more knowleagle person. When I think about my passed experiences I realize I have all of that to share with a young person. I also realize it makes me a more compassionate and understanding person...THAT, my dear friends, is something I have evolved into being...not something my first go at college made me. And THAT will go a long way when I get my own class. Wish me luck!

No comments: