Pages

Monday, September 18, 2006

Today Show and Happiness

I just watched this segment on happiness on the Today Show. They were basically making the point that being happy was in your head. That you have control over being happy and not being happy. I find this very interesting because I struggle with this very emotion day in and day out.

I am very happy...at moments...with my life. Instead of keeping the momentum going I start putting barriers up and creating my own anxiety and bad moods. It is craziness. Many times I feel like if I am too happy bad things will start happening, as if I should have been more cautious with my happiness. Or I feel like I don't want to do anything that will take away the happiness because then I'll just get pissed off.

When I look back over what I have written a perfect example is Jazzercise. I was so happy to start back and everything was going to well, then Miss P got injured. Now my happiness was taken from me. As I open my eyes to how I react to things I realize I am in the driver's seat of my emotions. I could let that incident totally get me down and despise that workout facility, or I can do something to change it so I am happy again. That is hard for me. I hate confrontation when I feel hurt because I hate making someone else unhappy so I can be happy again. BUT, I did learn from a very smart man, that if your confrontation is sincere and done with love that you won't make the other person unhappy, you will just make them understand where you are coming from.

Anyhow, I plan to be more in control of my happiness. I want my baby to have a happy life with a mother who enjoys each day. Not someone who finds things wrong with her life all the time - making her OWNSELF unhappy. I am really going to try, at least!

No comments: