Hubby and I watched an indy film called Shopgirl written by Steve Martin (yes, that JERK). Clare Daines starred and Jason Swartzman (that hairy bastard) also starred in the movie.
It was basically about a girl who moved to LA and met a penniless pauper who was into her and a rich no-good who pretended to be into her. The rich no-good was played by Steve Martin. His character was very romantic, swept Clare right off her feet, bought her gorgeous clothing and jewelry, and had sex with her ALL the time. Then he dumped her like last night's garbage when he was through.
This sounds oh-so-exciting, doesn't it? Well, not really, the movie was kind of slow and the dialogue wasn't exceptional by any stretch of the means, but the movie kept us interested...by our own speculation.
It almost seemed like the movie was an "I'm Sorry" message from Stevie to a little Saks Fifth Avenue make-up counter hussy. Not, I am not trying to make up some conspiracy theory or anything, just reading between the lines. And the message seems to be very obvious, if you really care to think about it. Here goes:
-The movie was a novella written by Stevie himself, directed and starred in by Stevie himself as well.
-He narrated some parts of the movie...the narration is written to tell the story, but the things he says are like he is talking to the viewer trying to send a little message.
-And the turn of events are too REAL, but not done in a cool way like "Lost in Translation."
Maybe the little hussy he cheated on his wife with said, "I'll tell if you don't make a movie about what happened with us." OR "I want to be in the movie," and the little hussy was really Clare Daines. OR maybe it is just a movie and Stevie was trying to be clever and it just didn't work.
I don't know...like I wrote above, just speculation.
2 comments:
I think the First comment was left by Mr. Martin.
Ha! Love your review. I hated this movie so much that it actually inspired me to post a blog (which I very infrequently do) entitled: "Steve Martin is a dog's ass" if you care to check it out. http://mcintwalli.blogspot.com
Post a Comment