So, what is a thank you card? I looked up the definition and this is what was written:
I had to actually look up greeting card:
greeting card is an illustrated, folded card usually featuring a message of greeting or other sentiment. Although greeting cards are usually given on special occasions such as birthdays, Christmas or other holidays, they are also sent on 'non-occasions' to say 'hello' or 'thank you'. Greeting cards, usually packaged with an envelope, come in a variety of styles, are manufactured and/or hand-made by hundreds of companies big and small. (thanks to Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeting_card)
A thank you is:
thank you - a conversational expression of gratitude
thanks - an acknowledgment of appreciation (thanks to dictionary.com)
Well, given those definitions I take a "thank you card" to mean an illustrated, folded card that contains some words of appreciation.
That means, when you want to thank someone for what they did, what they said or a nice gift they gave, you thank them. Plain and simple. BUT, is a card always necessary? Is a verbal thank you or an email thank you sufficient? I live in the midwest. I send a thank you card or email for many things, and many things I think a verbal or email thank you is quite enough. Now, I am no expert in gratitude or gratitude etiquette, but I do know what warrants a grand old hearty THANK YOU.
Maybe my expectations are a bit high, but I have sent gifts or done nice things for people and have been totally ignored. I think it is plain out rude. I know guys don't really send cards - that is fine, but can they type an email, shake your hand or give you a hug? Yes.
I know that sometimes people get really busy and don't always send a thank you. That is fine, but at least acknowledge the deed at some point in time. I don't think that is a big deal...but, maybe for some people it is, and I should just accept it.
No comments:
Post a Comment