Pages

Monday, June 09, 2008

Baby in bed

Ethan is still in bed with me. He starts off in the pack-n-play in my room, but by 4:30a I can't take thinking of getting up again in an hour or two hours to nurse him again and I bring him to bed with me. I am so exhausted, and the only way I am getting any sleep is when he sleeps beside me. I know I need to move him into his crib, but right now that sounds like hell. He STILL gets up 4 times a night. I guess since he was sick the few two months of his life that set him back developmentally for sleep...at least that is what the doc told me. But, he also said that transitioning is going to be getting harder and harder because of separation anxiety.

I really like that my pediatrician places no judgement on people who put their babies in their own room at 2 days or 2 years. He said that Americans think the family bed is a weird thing and many think it unacceptable and dangerous, and then Europeans believe that Americans are crazy and not nurturing their babies by not having a family bed for at least the first year of the baby's life. Everyone has to do what is right for them - and people who place judgment on others for how they parent their children need to stop. I have people say to me, "that baby is STILL in your room?!" like I am crazy. My goodness, he is only 4 months old! I moved P into her room at 4 months, but it worked for her at that point. She did great and LOVED being in her own room. Ethan just isn't ready, yet...and neither am I. I feel like my body is finally starting to heal up and I am feeling rejuvinated in the mornings instead of like the walking dead.

No comments: