I finally have the garden I always wanted. Hubby built a flowerbox beside the deck and filled it with dirt and good top soil so I could plant the vegetables and herbs I wanted to plant this year. I was a little nervous because I have never grown anything but a few herbs before. The herbs did well, so I was assuming other veges would, but just didn't think my thumb was green enough for a garden. Our friend Daryl took P and I to the
Anderson's to pick out what we wanted to plant and gave me some great advice on how to grow the plants. I was really excited to do this project with P hoping she would learn something and have fun with mommy, too.

We picked out tomato plants, red and yellow bell pepper, and Daryl gave us three banana pepper plants that were already small plants. I picked up stringless green beans and peas from seed, and thyme, parsley, rosemary, basil and lavender basil from small plants. We bought some tomato cages and discussed how far apart and how deep to plant all the veges and herbs. P helped me plant everything with her Little Tikes shovel, rake, and her hands of course.

We finished planting everything and were very proud of the work we had done. P and I talked about how the plants would grow and how we need to stay out of the flower box...which didn't really sink in because she was playing in it 15 minutes later and having the dogs run through it - I was afraid my green beans and peas would never come up!
Everyday we went out to make sure the soil wasn't too dry and check on the plants. I kept reminding her we needed to keep a lookout for the plants to come up from the seeds. And, after just a few short days the bean and pea plants made their grand entrance into the world! We...well, I was so excited! These are the green beans.

And these are the peas. The peas came up overnight! It was crazy. They were immediately little plants.

The green beans and peas really took off, and it has been really cool to watch them grow. Peyton gets excited to help water the plants and look at how big they are getting. I am going to start to measure them everyday with P so she can learn about measurements and how things get taller as they grow.

She is really happy to help, too!

The plants are growing like mad with all the rain. I took this picture today. I am going to have to start staking the peppers and look for support for the beans and peas so they don't just vine out all over the place. Hopefully we'll get some good eats!
5 comments:
So that those who will accidentally visit your site will not waste there time with this stupid topics.
Nice blog. Thats all.
Katon, Goukakyu no jutsu.
Nice blog. Thats all.
K, It looks awesome! I didn't know you were doing all of this?! I would've loved to have chatted more about it.
I saw Darryl at Target on friday and I thought I should email her and pick her brain sometime about growing stuff.
You're plants look great!
Post a Comment