Pages

Sunday, June 22, 2008

I've got the music in me

Last night we went to friend Daryl's for a cookout. John and Geni and D's friends Doug and Dorothy were there with their two boys. One of the boys is 2 and P got along with him famously. I watched the two of them play together and was in super awe of how much P has changed since turning 2. She has blossomed into this little girl with imagination, daring, love of music and laughter, and bossiness. I don't really think she is trying to be bossy, she just knows what she wants and what she wants to do. She'll either do it on her own or try to get you to do it for her. I noticed she loved having little J (Dorothy's boy) do what she said. Of course, he is so young and she is so young that they really should only be parallel playing, and they were, but I noticed P kind of bossing him around...just a touch. :)

Peyton grabbed bamboo sticks from the yard that D put there to mark where the mole holes were so little ankles wouldn't get broken. P immediately made them her musical instruments and began singing the Jack and Jill song with Little J that she learned at We Joy Sing. She kept interchanging the sticks - sometimes J was allowed to have one stick, sometimes two, but she had to be the one singing and starting the song. It was not at all obnoxious...to me it was really cute and showed me some leadership qualities on P's part.

I have had her going to music class since she was 9 months old. She has primarily gone to We Joy Sing, but I just finished up Music Together with her about 3 weeks ago. From what I have read, music is an excellent way to help brain development in children. It enhances their memory, helps them learn how to count, recognize rhythm and melody, gets them interested in music and musical instruments, creates a sense of commoradory with their fellow students, teaches them patience and social skills. I am so impressed with these music classes and the things P has learned - not just songs, but abilities as in sitting still and being patient, listening to me when I tell her something, appreciating sounds and songs and the funnest part - listening to her bust out in song or sing along to music at home or in the car. She can sing a lot of songs from start to finish. And, some of them aren't just repetitive verses or nursery rhymes. I know this is from her classes and from me singing to her and keeping music in her life.

I love music and have always loved singing. I told hubby the other day that I wished I had someone push me harder when I was younger. I had a professor say I should go on with vocal lessons, but I didn't take her seriously...probably because I never had anyone really help me realize the opportunities I could have had as a singer. Now, I am not talking American Idol crap, or pop singing, but maybe Opera or a great chorale group or something. I am not expecting P to make music a career or anything. I just want her to appreciate it, be interested in it and maybe take that interest further than just listening to the radio or her iPod.

No comments: