Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Princess? Awe

Last night hubby and I went out to dinner for our *gulp* 6 year anniversary. Six years, 2 dogs and 2 kids later, wow? Well, we made it over the 5 year slump...even with all my neurosis. I can be quite difficult, a slob, over-eater and have a firey temper, and when you wrap all of that into one package you have a challenge. Luckily, my hubby thinks my good qualities far outweigh my bad, and for that I know why we have made it this far. I remember when we told my parents we were getting married. My dad asked hubby if he knew what he was getting into. Hubby politely said "yes," but he really didn't...whew, he really, really didn't. Our first year of marriage was like the stormy seas - the waters start churning, the skies get dark, the water gets rough and then enormous rolling waves come toppling over one another. Your chance of survival on this type of water is slim. Think of that last breath-taking scene in The Perfect Storm...how scary was that when the ship sank? Now, imagine me as the stormy sea. I have gotten so much better and would now consider myself a minor tropical storm.

I have been complaining about customer service lately, and I told hubby last night that if our service was poor I was going to say something. He said, "please don't, and please don't fight with me tonight." awwe. I felt so bad and made it a point to behave myself. Of course, complaining at the restaurant we went to last night probably doesn't happen often. We went to The Refectory. It was awesome. The service was impeccable, the food was phenominal and the wine pairing was perfect. Our server was very knowlegeable about all of the dishes and sympathetic towards my (son's) allergy to dairy and was on top of recommending dishes that were dairy-free. He brought a few glasses of wine from the restaurant's earlier wine tasting for us try. It was so funny to see hubby's face after he took a sip. He HATES the taste of wine, beer, and alcohol - it has to be highly diluted by bloody mary mix or hidden in a good margharita. That makes me sad because my tour of the Nappa Valley one day will not be with him...unless they do a green tea tour as well.

We made our reservations for 8:30p so Ethan would already be asleep and Peyton would be shortly to slumber thereafter. Daryl watched her and put her bed. When I came downstairs all dressed up Peyton said "Mommy is a princess." It was so freakin' cute. I asked hubby if he told her to say that and he said he did not, that she said that on her own. I can't believe my two year old is saying things like that! And, I need to dress up more often to get those lovely compliments. :) I am starting to feel better about myself because I like my new haircut, have dropped a few pounds and am getting more active again. Only 15 more pounds to go. I am taking it slow so it stays off. I really want to get back into my smaller sized Lucky jeans again.

When we got home Daryl happily told us everything went well. Ethan didn't make a peep and P didn't cry for long after we left. Daryl said she got her a tissue for her tears and wiped her face. P, I guess, held out her finger and told Daryl to wipe the tear off of her finger and then wanted to keep the tissue...but, we don't know where that tissue went. I think the dogs probably ate it.

No comments: