I am currently trying to cut the Silk soy creamer out of my coffee in the morning because I think it is causing a reaction in Baby E. He is allergic to soy formula, so it makes sense that he'd not be able to ingest it from me, too. The pediatrician said that soy breaks down differently than milk protein, so eating soy "should" be okay, but cut it out if he isn't doing better to test him. Well, everytime I use the creamer he spits up a ton and has diarreah, so I am thinking it is the soy. I am really hoping it isn't all soy - like the actual bean or the soy they use in baked products. That will limit my diet even further!
I cannot have any type of dairy because of his milk protein intolerance. He is extremely sensitive to even trace amounts of whey, milk fat, casein, and all dairy like milk, butter, etc. We are SO fortunate to have a Whole Foods down the street. That is the only market I can find certain foods I can eat. For instance, Almond Breeze. I simply love this alternative to milk. I just found it the other day and am jonsing to try it on my cereal. I used it in my coffee and it was good. I could even drink a glass of it alone. It is SO good. I am so happy because I think soy milk is dreadful - and the only way I could drink it was in my coffee with sugar. Almond milk tastes almost like dairy skim milk with a hint of nuttieness and sweetness.
And, it seems that the higher the percentage of cacao in chocolate, the lower the chances buttermilk or regular milk is used. So, I am able to still eat certain brands of dark chocolate! yeah! Having to cut out chocolate on top of everything else was killing me! I also find that there are a ton of delicious vegan recipes out there for desserts and things that normally include cheese or dairy.
I will continue to test him and hopefully get him to a point where he has no tummy problems. As I wrote before, thank goodness I can nurse him!
It is easier than I thought to live dairy-free - hopefully it won't be gluten, wheat or anything else-free.
2 comments:
Ha! Marti just found your blog while doing an OSUMC search! You're now bookmarked. Great minds think alike - I have the same layout for my blog www.newmomstyle.blogspot.com
We're still up for lunch.
Kristyn
Yep, if you ingest it, the proteins go into your milk. I'm not sure what your pedi is talking about, but I'd run that sort of thing past an allergist - a pedi shouldn't give allergy advice. (Or so says mine, who is herself an allergy mum.)
We can't do almond milk, but folks love it. Other things to try in coffee: rice milk (sweet), coconut milk snd hemp milk (sounds bizarre, no?). I know someone who swears by Vance's Dari Free (I buy mine on allergygrocer.com for way, way too much money, but I can't find it locally.)
The Toddles drank rice milk for ages, and was distinctly ticked off when we found he wasn't allergic to soy and could switch him back to soy milk.
Post a Comment