Pages

Monday, January 28, 2008

Baby Boy

Okay...so I am laughing at my last post. I was complaining about not being induced on Wednesday and low and behold at 2pm I started having contractions that day. I knew I was feeling kind of weird and very short-tempered. P and I went to the grocery store and I felt very annoyed being there and like my vision was impaired. It was strange. So, I raced through the store to get home and hang out. Poor P got the shaft of short-tempered behavoir.

Well, I ended up calling Shane to get home because I just wasn't sure what was happening. I knew that if they got close I would have to go to the hospital quickly. I was scared that I would go into immediate labor and wouldn't have someone to watch P. I really didn't want her to see me in pain in the hospital. Luckily, it didn't happen that way.

My mom came over around 6p and I asked her to stay the night just in case. We got Mexican and as we ate and talked I felt like I probably should go to the hospital. Not that I was having contractions super close together or for a long time, but they were close enough and getting more and more painful.

Another "luckily" we went to the hospital before full-on labor is because hubby took three wrong turns. The funny thing about that was that not just a week prior he went and scouted it out because he couldn't remember from P's birth. I was nervous but we had time so it was fine. We got to triage and they checked me...only 3 and 1/2 centimeters. Similar to P, but since I wasn't in full-on labor I was afraid they were going to send me home. They decided to keep me since P came so quickly, but I had to walk for an hour to see if I would dilate more. I did, but only to like 4 and 1/2. During this time they told me I was Strep B positive and had to put be put on a penicillan IV drip for 4 hours and then they would break my waters. So, that was another "luckily" because I didn't know I was Strep B positive. At my doc's office they said my test was fine so I didn't even think about it. It made me a little angry because I didn't really understand what it meant...just that I needed the antibiotics for the baby.

I was taken to the room where they put my IV in and then told me to walk again for another 45 minutes. At this point it was 10pm. So, hubby and I walked and that is when we came to the conclusion for the baby's name. We also got to talk like we hadn't been able to in a while with having a 1 and 1/2 year old running around and be being pregnant and hormonal. ha! When we got back to the room I was having full-on painful contractions, but only to about 5 centimeters. I decided to get the epidural at that point since it was only going to get worse and who knew how long this one was going to take!

At 2am my midwife broke the baby's waters. They sat me in a different position in the bed, which was so comfortable I didn't really want to go through labor. Believe it or not, that new hospital bed they were trying out and the epidural made me feel better than I had in months so I was really enjoying being painfree for a while. At around 3:15am or so my midwife checked my dilation and told me I was ready to push. They got all set up and Ethan Matthew was born at 3:39am. Three pushes and that little babe was out. Hubby was really choked up and almost cried. It was so sweet.

Immediately they handed Ethan to me and took care of the nethers, which required no work from me. Wow - he was an angel to behold. He was so darn cute and had a full head of almost black hair. I knew Ethan was the perfect name for him at that point. And, he latched on like a champ and has been breastfeeding like he always knew how to. I am so thankful for that because it took P and I three months to get it down. It was so hard and I almost gave up, but then I ended up nursing P for over 13 months, which I hope I can do with Ethan.

Now to get him to change his clock. He is up ALL night long. I am so exhausted it is almost painful and will hopefully only last like this for a few more weeks. He just wants to eat ALL the time - seriously at night he bf's every 20 minutes. But, like hubby says, fast foward another 6 months and all of this will be worked out. I don't mind it except when I am nodding off and he is crying and has pooped and peed everywhere. Other than that he is terrific. He is truly my little treasure. To think of how perfect P is and how perfect he is brings me to tears. I am so blessed.

2 comments:

Momma Bear said...

Yay!!

Anonymous said...

Nice work! He is such a cutie. Congrats on the new addition! :) Hope I get to meet him someday!

Love,
Kelly