Pages

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mom's Day

I had written this in mind when Peyton was a wee babe. I never put it down because I simply didn't have time or forgot or was too lazy. But, today I put it down in tribute to myself and other mommies who are incredibly tired...and wouldn't exchange one hour of sleep that would mean they'd miss that hour with their babies. I am a mom, an incredibly lucky mom and today I realize how special it is.

You look into my tired eyes. It 3am.
You fuss and battle me because you are hungry?
Maybe tired?
Maybe uncomfortable?
A scratchy sleeper?
You look into my tired eyes. It is 3:15am.
You slobber and put your fist into your mouth, but you don't eat.
Are you hungry???
Maybe tired???
Maybe uncomfortable???
A scratchy sleeper???
You look into my tired eyes. It is 3:45am.
You fuss and fuss again.
I question and question again.
Maybe tired?
Maybe uncomfortable?
Maybe a scratchy sleeper?
You look into my tired eyes. It is 4am. This time I don't get up to put you down.
I smile.
I hold you.
You smile.
You nuzzle.
You sleep.

No comments: